Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I had a computer virus today. A phone number came up Tech

Customer Question

I had a computer virus today. A phone number came up for Microsoft Tech support. The person I talked to assured me he was part of Microsoft located in Dallas TX. They have a phone # ***** They installed a firewall and charged $299.
Can someone verify that this is a department of (or a sub-contractor) of Microsoft that is entitled to call itself Microsoft Tech support.
R. J. Higby
Huntington Beach, CA
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That was certainly a scam; that phone number is ***** from Microsoft. Please always ignore any message or phone call that you do not know or you are not expecting. Please try the following:

1. Click Start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, then wait until it finishes/restarts.

2. Go to the website below to download and install the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program:
http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
, then scan your computer using the Quick Scan option, then restart the computer normally, and check.
(Note: Do not buy anything or try the Pro version; just use its free feature. Also, note that the program name is*****)

, and/or use your antivirus/security program to scan your computer.

3. Change your important account passwords, such as email password, facebook password, online banking password, etc.

4. Please call your credit card company / bank and request them to block/reverse the charge.

5. Also, here is more information from Microsoft about phone scams:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.