Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I'm running Recovery Program on my Gateway Computer. It

Customer Question

I'm running Recovery Program on my Gateway Computer. It is stuck @ 99% complete in the "Restore Progress Updating Systems" segment. Has been stuck @ 99% for over an hour. All previous segments completed normally. What do I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The recovery can take up to two hours to complete, though its not usually sitting on 99% for over an hour.
Has it been closer to two hours then 1?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's almost been 2 hrs stuck @ 99%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over 3 hours all together
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its crashed, thats way too long
This means we have to force shut down and see what now will happen when it starts again which will be dependent on how far it got in the restore.
Hold the power button down until it powers off, then power it on and tell me please what then happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's going through the Set Up System. Should see how far it gets?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says Set Up is starting Services But nothing seems to be happening
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
that can be normal, give it 15 minutes and tell me if anything has changed please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not doing anything
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, power it off and then power it on again and tell me what now happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Getting an error report. Encountered unexpected Error. Needs to shut down and restart. Has done that twice. Both times the same error report comes up
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the restore was not able to complete and this can be a sign of a faulty hard drive.
Power off the computer and then power it on and keep tapping F11 which should bring you to the recovery manager.
Are you able to get to this and run the restore again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It ignores F11. Asks me what mode to start in and then goes back to the same error message
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Originally I held ALT & F10 down to get to Recovery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I have to leave to pick up my son at school. Can I gety back with you later?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, on most models its F11, some ALT+ F10 or just F10 (they are the only brand that changes this around per models)
If you used ALT+F10, then use this again and tell me if you can get to it please.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
How did you go with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it fixed eventually. Took the hard drive to Office Depot to have all my files backed up then did a full wipe and reinstall. It's up and running. The glitch was in the option that resets to original but creates a backup file for existing Docs etc. It never would complete. Froze up @ 99% each time. FYI, the reason I had this problem is that I downloaded my free upgrade of Windows 10. It didn't load properly and locked me out of the computer entirely. Couldn't get past the log in screen. Naturally Microsoft was no help so I resorted to going back to Windows 7
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, good you got the files backed up as I was concerned if we could if my last instructions failed.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you