IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Was using 4 digit password on windows 8.1 (overlaid on

Customer Question

Was using 4 digit password ***** windows 8.1 (overlaid on windows 7). After about 1 year, I was asked for a regular password ***** I can't remember. Laptop is locked up. I get sign on screen asking for password....that's all I can get. Called Microsoft for help and they say I need to go to their store. Can you help me?
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Please tell me which Microsoft account (e-mail address) is displayed at the Windows 8.1 logon screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was in original information I sent. That is the email address of locked up laptop".
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
I have checked***@******.*** account and there are 2 fast ways of resetting the current password:
1. Send a password ***** link to the associated e-mail address, ending in @aol.com
2. Send a password ***** code to the associated phone number, ending in 79
Which of these options can you use?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Let me know here so that I can assist you with the password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't work. I tried these before getting in touch with you. My phone number is(###) ###-####if you would find it easier to solve this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not going to click for you to receive rest of $27 ( which is $20 ) until my computer laptop is opened. John Caffee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be in my office where PC (which is working) will be available until about 1:00pm pst. I don't have a computer available to work with you again until tomorrow morning at 9:30am pst. Thank you...John Caffee
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

If you were unable to reset the password, I can assist you with that. That is why you came here for assistance, is that correct?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Do you have your phone with you now? If so, I should be able to request a verification code to be sent there.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! Hold on...

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I have requested a new code now. Please check your phone for new text messages.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Once you receive it, please type the code here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
code(###) ###-####
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Good news!

Using that code, I was able to reset the password ********@******.***

New password ***** *****: newOne2015

You can use that password ***** signing in to your Hotmail account as well as logging into your account on computer when asked for the password.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I typed it exactly as you said....newOne2015. It states the password ***** ***** try again.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Please check if you can sign in to the Hotmail e-mail account using that new password.
Here is the link:

http://www.hotmail.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on outlook express page after logging into www.hotmail.com. It has a list of different entries with different dates. The one at the top says 11:45 ...has a box to check to change password ***** Should I check box and what?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

I believe it is only an e-mail from Hotmail / Outlook confirming that the password ***** been reset. You can use newOne2015 for signing in or you can change the password ***** something else.

To change the password, you can click on this link:

https://account.live.com/Password/Change

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried newOne2015 again on laptop. It says password ***** ***** please try again. I was using Google as browser on laptop....would that make any difference?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

If you can sign in to the Hotmail account and see all the e-mails using the new password, but cannot sign in to your laptop, then it means something is wrong with the laptop.

Please restart the laptop and try again, but make sure it is connected to the Internet. Without the Internet connection, it cannot know the password ***** been reset to newOne2015

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Connected to Wi-Fi. Incorrect password ***** I am going to give up for today. Get back to you tomorrow. John
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

OK, no problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keep the $7 initial fee..It is obvious to me that I must have a problem that can't be handled over the internet. Thanks again for trying to help.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!
I am sorry for the issues.
I've seen the same password ***** problem happening on Windows 10 as well, and only the re-installation helped remove the password ***** so if you would like to do that, let me know.
Regards,
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!
Do you still require assistance with this issue?
Let me know,