Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I went to your site get the free upgrade windows 7 that is

Customer Question

I went to your site get the free upgrade for my windows 7 that is installed on my Dell desktop. After clicking on the upgrade in your site my PC locked up in safe mode. The hard drive on reboot will not even allow me to restore and stays locked up in sleep mode now. I am beside my self now what your Windows 10 has done to my new computer.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

it is not my upgrade. it is microsofts. we are an independent third party website of experts that can try to help you for a small charge. If you prefer to try microsoft their number is ***** MICROSOFT and i can get you a refund from here.

if you want to work with me i will be happy to do so.

first thing to try is to just hold the power button down for a few seconds until it shuts down and then restart it in a minute. that should at least take it out of sleep mode though i dont know whether it will boot correctly. but try that and let me know please. we can go from there depending on what it does.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that and I was not fast enough when the restore option appeared to scroll down to that and hit enter. The drive went back to sleep mode. Tried it all over again and the reboot will not work. I think I have lost all my threads in the system to restore. Since my Dell was a refurbish desk top I think not that I will be getting any refunds. I wish that if you can contact Microsoft about how there Windows 10 is screwing everybody's systems up and that I will not be using it on my laptop for fear of them screwing it all up. I have read all the blogs that have been posted about this new Windows system is a train wreck to there systems. My system running Windows 7 fine is now trashed.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

believe me i know all of the problems. I have been dealing with almost nothing else for the last 10 days at least. I dont know how many people got it to work with no problems it may be a lot. but there are certainly a lot that are having issues some up to the point where it just trashes the entire computer.

these are the instructions i have been giving people and most of them have been able to get it working or returned to its original state using one or the other of them. At the last you can use another computer to make a bootable flash drive which the problem computer can boot off. that will allow it to run the recovery options from the flash drive.

If this is the first time it has started after the upgrade and you have not done so try just restarting the computer. sometimes that straightens it out

otherwise
If you can get the windows 10 desktop

right click on the start button
and select SETTINGS
then accounts and recovery
that should give you repair options you can try

if you cant get anywhere on the desktop but you can get to the sign in screen

at the sign in screen before you log in
there should be a button to restart the computer on the right hand side
if you hold the shift key on the keyboard down while selecting the restart option
it should bring you to a page with some repair options that you can try.

if you can not get the computer to do anything useful at all than you need a boot disk ( actually a flash drive)
you can create the flash drive using the program that you download from this page
make sure that you select the option to create a flash drive for use on other machines

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

you can put that flash drive in the computer and restart it and it should reboot from the flash drive that will give you some repair options you can try including going back to your original operating system or re installing the windows 10 totally

this post shows all of the options that you can use from the windows boot drive including how to make sure that the computer will actually boot from the flash drive

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569556/safe-mode-windows.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing is working. The BIOS screen does not give me enough time to navigate to the proper commands. The backup disc created is in the units ROM and .it will not come out so the flash drive created for reboot will not be read on start up. Thanks for trying but this is way too much for me and at this point and time I have to say it will have to be turned over to a tech, to handle for it's repair.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

windows isnt even loaded when the bios screen comes up. this may not be a win 10 error but something with the computer or monitor itself. have you got another monitor you can test it with ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my system windows 7 was working fine till I tried downloading windows 10. It is Microsoft download that did not even start the download that screwed everything up. I am so mad at them 4 not having a block for the download if my systems would not work with windows 10. Now it is going to cost me a lot of money to pay my tech guy to fix. My god it was a brand new system working with windows 7. Screw their windows 10. If I get the operating system back to windows 7 it will stay there.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i would really check the connections on the monitor. unplug and replug both ends if they both come out. make sure they are tight

try the monitor menu make sure it says auto detect

turn both the computer and the monitor off for a few minutes. unplug them from the wall even.

then plug them back in and try again

if you have or can borrow another monitor try that. Just to see if you can get into it long enough to get to the settings and see what is going on. But the bios should be putting out pure vanilla vga. it should not flash the monitor no matter what windows did because windows isnt running yet.