Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  CISCO certified, Microsoft proficient, computing expert.
30970729

My Windows 10 upgrade went through the entire process with

Customer Question

My Windows 10 upgrade went through the entire process with no apparent problems and then booted. It seemed like it took forever and a series of messages came up on the blue screen advising me of what was going on - "just a few more tweaks" and "this seems to be taking longer than usual." Finally, we got to the point where the desktop background and task bar presented and that's where things fell apart. This image stayed put for a few seconds and blinked out and blinked back on with the exact image. This process will continue and all the time the HDD light is winking like we're stuck in a "do loop." The mouse pointer moves around according to the way the mouse is being moved but the blue ring indicating HDD activity keeps lighting up. The only keys strokes that will cause any reaction are "ctl-alt-del" which eventually produce the dialogue list wit "task manager" in it. By the way, when that screen presents everything seems to be working normally - clicking on any of the items in the list returns the expected results. I selected "task manager" because I thought I would be able to discover which program had run a-muck. "Task manager" says there were no programs and showed a blank.
There seems to be no safe mode start sequence so there is no way to revert back to old Windows 7 SR1 or any means to re-run the Windows 10 installation. This problem is on a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5265 with 6Gb memory and what looks like a 650Gb HDD - over 500Gb free on the HDD.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
You can downgrade again if you wish to.
When you upgrade to Windows 10, your existing Windows installation is saved, rather than deleted. Those old files then stay on your PC for a month (unless you delete them manually), after which Windows 10 assumes that you’re happy with the way it works and deletes the files to free up several gigabytes of hard drive space. These files are also used to restore your previous version of Windows if you want to uninstall Windows 10.
To uninstall Windows 10, go to Start > Settings > Update & security, and then select Recovery in the left of the window.
Look in the right of the window and you should see an option for Go back to Windows 7. Click the Get started button below to begin the uninstallation process.
Uninstallation will take a while and Windows 10 will ask why you’re removing it. After a couple of warnings, your PC will restart and Windows 10 will be uninstalled. This can take anything up to an hour, depending on your PC, but there’s nothing you need to do while it’s in progress.