Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Why won't Windows 10 recognize my flash drives.

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Do they show up under computer where you see the c drive etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
However, the computer recognizes flash drive but cannot load it.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

What exactly do you mean by recognize but won't load. What is on the flash drive to load? I thought you said you deleted them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are standard 64 G sandisk flash drives to go through a USB 3.0 port. Everytime I plug them in the computer can't load them. I am wondering if it is a driver.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

It may be. But they use standard Windows drivers. It might be an issue with the USB drivers.

I am trying to understand exactly what is happening. I deal with all levels of technical ability here. So my first thought is maybe the drives are working but its not popping up the little box that usually asks what you want to do with the stuff on them. That would be a different issue than the computer not seeing the drives at all.

They would still show up in my computer. And you could open them by double clicking on them

I put up an offer to log in remotely to fix them for you. I think that might work a lot faster because you could show me exactly what is happening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't continue now and maybe we can do it on Monday. How do I contact you then?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

If you accept the additional service offer I can get you my phone number and you can call any time

Otherwise you can add this page to your favorites list and bounce right back by selecting it from your favorites list

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will contact you tomorrow morning when I'm at my computer.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Tomorrow is a tough day for me. I probably wont be around much till about 5pm CST i am here today and all day wednesday though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thought I would let you know. A Seagate back up drive and a Cruzer 4GB and a 32 GBCruzer also work. both work and are recognized. The two 64GB SanDisk do not.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

let me do a little research win 10 is very new. But the other day i had a guy with a 64gb and it would only format to 32. I wonder if win10 has an issue with dealing with flash drives over 32gb

please post back in so i wont lose the question and i will look it up later today. I wont be back till about 5 or 6 cst probably though. its my day off :)