Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I tried to reset Windows 10 on my Toshiba Laptop, but near

Customer Question

Hello, I tried to reset Windows 10 on my Toshiba Laptop, but near the end of the process it got stuck in a loop, telling me it had to restart but couldn't because of an "inaccessible boot device". The Windows 10 had worked fine before that, I just wanted to clean it up.
I've looked at several questions about the same problem on forums, but no luck. Many people mentioned discs and flash usb drives--I've never worked with those. I can't do anything at all on the laptop now, it doesn't get past the Toshiba logo.
I saw some info from Toshiba to hold down the "zero" key while turning it on and was able to reach a page offering to allow me to reset Windows 10, but soon ran into a message that said I was unable to reset because a "partition drive is missing".
What should I do?
Thank you,
Rose
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.
sorry i think i read another question and answered on this one.
you will need a flash drive with the windows 10 operating system to boot off of to get anywhere with this.
you can create the flash drive using the program that you download from this page
make sure that you select the option to create a flash drive for use on other machines
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
you can put that flash drive in the computer and restart it and it should reboot from the flash drive that will give you some repair options you can try including going back to your
original operating system or re installing the windows 10 totally
this post shows all of the options that you can use from the windows boot drive including how to make sure that the computer will actually boot from the flash drive
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569556/safe-mode-windows.html