Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I got a notice that window 10 was ready to install on my

Customer Question

Hi
I got a notice that window 10 was ready to install on my laptop.
I clicked through but now everything has jammed up and not working. I only have a flashing screen!!
I unplugged. Restarted and signed in but only gets toy old desktop picture and starts flashing again.
Help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. What model computer is this? I need to look up if your model is compatible with 10.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP
Windows 7
Intel core i7
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
What model HP is it? It should say the model somewhere on it. You gave the version of windows and the processor.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything switch on and goes to the sign in screen.
Once I sign my desktop back ground comes up. There is nothing on it. It then starts blinking and nothing works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pavilion dv7
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Which model dv7? There are many different models. The full model number may be under the battery. It should be something like dv7-4280us for example.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dv7 6c51ei
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
From what I can see your model is not compatible with windows 10. The newest version it seems to be compatible with is 8. Have you been able to get into it enough to at least see the start menu? If you can we can revert it back.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I sign in nothing works.
There is a moving circle on the arrow. I can move the arrow.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That should mean it is loading. Hold down ctrl and alt, while holding them down tap delete. Can you open the task manager?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Task manager open
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok good I just wanted to make sure key combinations like that would work with it doing this. It seems your graphics card is not compatible so you need to revert to your previous version of windows. To do that hold down the windows key between alt and ctrl on the left side of the keyboard. While holding the windows key down tap the i key. A settings window will open, in that click on updates and security. Then on the left side click on Recovery. Under go back to windows 7 or 8 depending on which you had click on get started, now just follow the steps on the screen. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Task manager still openI held window key and tapped iNothing happend
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That is not good a settings window should have opened.
In the task manager click on more details.
Then at the top click on the details tab.
Now find explorer.exe in the list and click on it so it is highlighted.
Click on end task, then click on file and new task.
Type in explorer.exe click on ok, then try the steps I just gave you again.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't high light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keeps jumping to system idle process
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Right click on it instead then and click on end process in the right click menu.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't let me
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

you may have tried the first option here before. if it isnt working go to the next etc.

If you can get the windows 10 desktop

right click on the start button
and select SETTINGS
then accounts and recovery
that should give you repair options you can try

if you cant get anywhere on the desktop but you can get to the sign in screen

at the sign in screen before you log in
there should be a button to restart the computer on the right hand side
if you hold the shift key on the keyboard down while selecting the restart option
it should bring you to a page with some repair options that you can try.

if you can not get the computer to do anything useful at all than you need a boot disk ( actually a flash drive)
you can create the flash drive using the program that you download from this page
make sure that you select the option to create a flash drive for use on other machines

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

you can put that flash drive in the computer and restart it and it should reboot from the flash drive that will give you some repair options you can try including going back to your

original operating system or re installing the windows 10 totally

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Sorry I lost connection last nightI hAve done the shift restart option.
And chose repair.Screen now sitting for the last 10 min on the followingYour PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info and then we'll restart for you. (100%complete)Now what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Turn it off and turn it back on and if it doesn't restart properly try some of the other options like going back to your original operating system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi.
OK. Everything is back on.it is opersting in windows 10
But all the download apps are gone.
Including norton.word.excell. and all my emails that were in winows live. Sob!
My documents all seem to be there but can't open pdf etc.I have backup on an external drive.I
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

You may need to reload the programs. For the PDF download adobe reader

For the excel and word you need to reinstall ms office

I can get you download links for any program that you give me a document type that isn't opening

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi.
I am plodding through. What a mess!!
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
it would be this is why people hate microsoft
if you think you can get this done and get it working i would really appreciate if you would give me an excellent rating as that is the only way that i get credit for my work
I will keep the question open and continue to help if you have issues even after you rate me
thank you :)