Christopher Love
Christopher Love,
Experience:  Owner at CJL & Associates
70121091

I just reverted to Windows 8.1 after Windows 10 had pretty

Customer Question

I just reverted to Windows 8.1 after Windows 10 had pretty much shut everything on my computer down.
Everything seems to work OK again, except that Google Chrome will not let me access any of the organizations I do business with. This includes Chrome/newtab ... etc. The message I get is:
"Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.google.com (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID"
I use Bitdefender as security software since it came bundled with my machine and I have almost a year left on the subscription. I do not seem to have the same problem with Firefox, so I can still get things done. I would prefer to use Chrome though.
I did a complete de-installation of Chrome and then did a re-installation. Same problem persists.
Any thoughts on what to change would be welcome.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Christopher Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Chris. Could you provide me with one of the organization's website address you are having difficulty with? I want to investigate your CERT message more clearly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am away from my office until August 29, so I cannot give you immediate replies. Hence my defining the response requirements as low priority and non-urgent. When I get back, I would love to be able to use my usual browsers again though, so I will attempt to provide as much as I can from my current location.The websites I could not connect to with Chrome included google.com, Sociabank.ca, Canada411, Oakville Public Library, and others. Anything that required any kind of identifier from my computer was blocked. This was true of IE as well.I was starting to have problems getting websites to play nice while I was still using Windows 10, but there were so many other problems simultaneously cascading with Windows 10 that it was not immediately apparent that this one was a big deal.Now that I am back to Windows 8.1, this is the main thing I need to resolve.I have a System Image backup from July 27 that I can revert to that if this issue persists -- after storing copies of work since then off line of course. But I want to understand the underlying cause so I can prevent future occurrences.

Got your message. After thinking about it, I suppose it's possible that installing Windows 10 and the new browser that security settings were changed. Uninstalling and reverting to Win 8 may or may not have carried over. You could set default settings in IE and Chrome to see if that does it first before restoring to your backup. Hope that helps. We're all still new with the hiccups in Win 10

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't determine if your suggestion worked until I return to my office at the end of the month. I know the system generates reminders on an automated basis, but I won't be responding after this until at least early September.