Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Thinking of migrating to windows 10 from win 7 with xp mode

Customer Question

Thinking of migrating to windows 10 from win 7 with xp mode (used to run legacy programs)'...
If Iinstall VMware player along with Win 10.Will I be able to run XP mode. Or do I have to
install XP OS entirely> Unfortunately I threw out the old XP disks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

windows 10 should have the same features windows 8 does where you just have to set the compatibility in the program properties by right clicking on it and selecting properties and then the compatibility tab. that will let you run things in xp mode

but this page would be helpful if you are trying to run the xp virtual machine on windows 10. it has a section on how to run it in both win 7 and below that instructions for win 10

http://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-add-an-XP-Mode-Virtual-Machine-to-Windows-10-or-8-using-Hyper-V-00770

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not quite convinced that this correct. My experience and surfing web for answers . Most answers say cannot run
XP mode (which MS created exclusively for Win 7) is not compatible with any other Win OS including 8 and 10.
From what I have learned -- I'm leaning toward VMware Player to create Virtual machine in WIN 10 which will run XP OS (not XP mode)... If I can only find an old XP disc with Key.. Note they are still selling it at atrocious prices---dcf
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

are they really i thought you could get an old xp disk for under 50 on ebay but i havent looked recently. probably cheaper to buy an old xp computer at a thrift shop or craigslist and see if it has the product key on the bottom. most of the dell or hp had a sticker with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you agree with my thoughts re using VMware Player. I did note many complaints on the web about not breing able use XP
mode in Win 8 - no support from MS
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I would tend to agree with you. I think the xp mode was a patch thing for win 7 when it wouldnt run xp programs. they did away with it in win 8 because they didnt think they needed it. they got the compatibility mode a little bit better. for win 10 they will just say xp is no longer supported if it doesnt work.

what exactly do you need to run under it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have some old programs I put together using a Program called Toolbook 7. It became too expensive to keep upgrading
They now want in excess of $5000 to upgrade to be compatible with latest MS OS .This is too rich for me
( Originally Toolboook was free with my first computer many moons ago) For your info ***** ***** Co-founder of
Microsoft headed the extablishment of Toolbook A Script type of programing (very good)
Company is now called SumTotal
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

got you. ill tell you at this point its probably cheaper and easier to keep an old xp computer around just to run that stuff on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Too slow --Thats why I used XP mode with Win 7 - I'm convinced VMware Player (free) which can mk a VM to run multiple OS is the answer.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

give it a shot.