Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I downloaded my reserved copy of windows 10 a few hours ago

Customer Question

I downloaded my reserved copy of windows 10 a few hours ago and now the monitor screen is loading and loading. It looks like it is glitching.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

is it trying to install the windows 10 ?

how long has it been doing the actual install ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trying to install windows 10. I started the process about 915 PST, more than three hours ago. I am currently using my laptop to converse with you.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

that sounds like a bit long but i might let it go another hour

can you see the hard drive led that flashes when the hard drive is in use. it usually looks pretty random. If that is still going than the process is still working. If it is pretty much stopped than the thing is probably stuck

when you decide it is definitely stuck see if you can just get out of it by hitting cancel or if there is a little x on the top right of the box. or you can hit alt F4

or if you have to you hold the power button in for a few seconds till the computer turn off. then turn it on again.

hopefully it will at least go back to where it was before you started installing the new operating system

at that point you can

A. decide its not worth being a guinea pig for microsoft to test their new op and leave things as they are.

B. try the download again making sure that your anti virus is off and everything else is closed

C.

you can create a windows*****using the program that you download from this page make sure that you select the option to create a flash drive for use on other machines

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

using that flash drive you can install the win 10 operating system

no matter what i recommend making sure the computer is backed up before instaling the win 10 again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The LED light is still flashing. Twice I had turned off the computer by holding the power key for a few seconds. (No X on home screen). Each time I turned it back on it went back to the home screen, flashing and loading and loading.. I work from home so this is quite a hindrance.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i can understand that. i work from home as well and i would die without a good computer to use

you might try just letting it run over night to see if it gets itself straightened out

otherwise make the bootable flash drive and try booting the computer from that and restarting the install that way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way I can stop it and keep what I originally had?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

ok i will get you a link tomorrow morning. they tend to time out on me if i give them too early

make sure that you have a usb cable for the phone to the pc and you have itunes loaded on the pc please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a cable modem that is hooked up to that computer. I am not an itunes person. Last week I tried to update my account with my new email address (the old one and apple ID died and is now in Comcast heaven). But it gave me verbage I didn't understand. How can I validate myself when my email address is no longer in existence? I gave up and use windows media.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

did it have an option to send a text message ? that would work

the problem is that you need to be able to get on with the same apple id that is in the phone. do you know the id for that ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope. and we are a samsung family. can you help me another way?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry those responses were supposed to be for another question. either the site or myself got confused

if there is no cancel button you can try to use alt f4 to stop it or try rebooting the computer or if all else fails hold the power button in for a few seconds

whether it goes back to what it was or not i cant say. some people it has just gone back to the old operating system. some people it goes back to keep trying to oad the new one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done that b4 I contacted this site. It keeps loading and loading. Do you know of a number I can call for Windows 10 support?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
i dont believe that they have a phone number for that. they tend to think their programs will just work perfectly. I imagine it would be way overloaded if they did have one. You can try 800 MICROSOFT
what i recommend is creating the flash drive "for a different machine" from this webpage
and then boot the computer to the flash drive and see if that will install the win 10 for you or give you other repair options like going back to the old system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reboot didn't work, alt f4, didn't work, turning off with power button twice didn't work. So basically you can't help me. That's ok, just need to know.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

that has been happening. unfortunately if you cant get the computer to do anything you need to boot it from the flash drive. that way its not running the same thing that doesnt let you do anything. if you make the flash drive with another computer which is pretty easy to do.

then plug the flash drive into the bad computer and turn it off and turn it on again with the flash drive in place it should boot into the flash drive and you should get some options that can repair the computer or re install the windows 10.