Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Dell DM061 and dell e228wfp monitor. Upgraded to windows 10

Customer Question

Dell DM061 and dell e228wfp monitor. Upgraded to windows 10 and monitor no longer recognised. How do I get it to use that driver? thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

are you able to load windows 10 and are you on the windows 10 desktop screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

click on ask me anything box and type in device manager as the icon appears click on it.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

once you are in there let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure where ask me anything box is. Can go to device manager by right click on windows icon, and open.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

click on the windows start button and select the search box and then type in device manager.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am in Device manager.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you will see monitor click on the arrow and it has something in it let me know what is under the monitor option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Generic non pnp monitor
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

right click on it and select update driver software

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says my software is up to date. I have tried this several times. Originally I had two monitors on, an older HPL1906. It would then only recognise that. On Windows 8 and 7 dual monitors worked fine. If I go via control panel or windows-p it tells me that I should use a different video card or reinstall the drivers. How do I kill miscrosoft basic display driver and reinstall the dell monitor driver. There is no update to that 2006 driver.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

which one are you using with windows 10 now?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

let me know the model number

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just plugged them both back in. The one recognised is the HP L1906, so both monitors have the same picture. The driver is monitor.sys and HP_L1906. Under device manager It just says monitor under monitor, and display adaptor under display adaptors. nothing else
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you mentioned Dell DM061 and dell e228wfp monitor in your question post, let me know the make and model number of the monitor you have on the windows 10 computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dell e228wfp and HP L1906. I had unplugged the HP initially then rebooted and plugged it back in. Properties for the driver changed, recognising the HP monitor as above. It never recognises the Dell monitor as anything other than generic. It only recognises the HP if both are plugged in, but the image is the same on both
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
check the video driver is installed correctly or its using generic driver after removing or upgrading the video driver then you remove the monitor driver and reboot the computer.
Once video driver is installed correctly the monitor driver will be picked up automatically by windows 10.