IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Can't load any of amazon.co.uk or amazon. com pages on any

Customer Question

can't load any of amazon.co.uk or amazon. com pages on any device or any browser. My husband can do it on his computor.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.
Thank you,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is fine.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro.

It looks like Jason is off-line, so I will continue to help you with this problem.
Since you say none of the devices can access the Amazon web pages, please do the following:
1. Un-plug the modem/router power cable from the electrical outlet. If you have two devices for connecting to the Internet (modem + router), do the same for both of them. Leave it/them un-plugged for about 2 minutes
2. During those 2 minutes, you can restart your computer
3. Re-plug the power cable(s) and wait until the Internet connection gets restored
4. On your computer, start a web browser and check if you can now access the Amazon web pages
Let me know the results here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will try this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not working .This has actually been a problem for a few weeks and only when I am at my home station.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
Sorry for the delay.
You mentioned that your husband could load the Amazon web pages on his computer. Is he connected to the same network as you are, or connected to another network?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried a few things yesterday. We have two networks we can connect to from our home - both satellite. One is VSAT and one is IPSTAR. My husband can connect to amazon through both networks and I can only connect through the VSAT system which is linked through our local school. (we are based in Indonesia). The network we need to be using is the IPSTAR one and this is the one that seems to be blocking only my devices to amazon - the ones i sync with. I use a Mac and Ipad.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
Has the problem with the Amazon web pages started to happen only recently or it was always present?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Present since we started using the IPSTAR system - only on my devices.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK.
Does your husband have a Mac computer, or a Windows computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mac also
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Please test the connection to the Amazon servers by using the "trace route" command in the Mac Terminal.
To do that, click on your desktop so that you can see the Finder toolbar. There click on "Go" and then select "Utilities". When the Utilities window opens, click on the black Terminal icon.
You can also start it by typing Terminal in the search box located in the upper right corner.
Once it starts, type:
traceroute www.amazon.com
and press Enter.
You will see several IP addresses (host names), the number of servers, and the time needed for the connections to be established. After several addresses, you will see * * * which means that the server is unavailable.
If it is listing * * * all the time, you can cancel the trace route test by pressing the Command and C keys.
Please run that command on both your computer and your husband's computer and let me know if you found any difference in those results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mine says - can't assign requested address - his just lists lots of IP addresses. But now I can't get on through his computor either
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
I think that the network provider which controls the IPSTAR Internet connection has probably set up a network blockage to certain servers (web pages) during a certain period of day.
Since you cannot directly access Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk web pages, please try with these web proxies:
http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html
http://www.webproxy.net
Try with http://www.amazon.com and http://www.amazon.co.uk to see if the web pages will load.
Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will work but very slow. I get on first page but then to get on other pages amazon shows a robot check and can't get past that. It just keeps putting up new numbers to input.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Those two web proxies are public web proxies and can be slow. I provided them to you only to test loading the Amazon web pages through different servers.
So, the problem is not with your devices, but with the Internet Service Provider that the IPSTAR network uses.
It is possible that some other services and web pages are blocked as well. I am not sure why they put such blockage. You can contact the IPSTAR network administrator or, the Internet Service Provider directly, to find out more about the blockage.
To be able to bypass the blockage, you can either use the web proxies, such as the ones I provided to you, or you can install a VPN program.
Most VPN programs are not free; however, I was able to find one that is free, but the ads will appear while browsing.
See Hotspot Shield:
http://www.hotspotshield.com/vpn-for-mac
You can download the free version to test loading the Amazon web pages and other web pages that seem to be blocked while you are using the IPSTAR network.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - I will do that.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK.
I am here if you require further assistance.
Regards,