Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My CD ROM will no longer work, Matshita DVD-RAM UJ8E1 and

Customer Question

My CD ROM will no longer work, Matshita DVD-RAM UJ8E1 and gives an error code 19. I have uninstalled a few times no luck.
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer is an Acer Aspire E1-521-0851 running Windows 8
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Code 19 errors can have several causes. Even something seemingly harmless like an iTunes update can cause this.
If this is a very recent occurrence Windows System Restore can be used to undo the registry changes that are the cause. To start System Restore hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press R. In the Run box type: rstrui.exe and click OK.
When the System Restore window opens click Next and put a checkmark in the box labeled Show More Restore Points.
Select the restore date just prior to you receiving the Code 19 error.
Click Next
Click Finish
after the restore has finished and the computer restarted check to see if the drive is now usable.
Please keep me updated. Should System Restore not fix this then changes will need to be made to the Registry.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm checking in to see how the System Restore went?
If the drive still isn't working can you tell me if this is the full error you are receiving when you look at the Properties of the drive in Device Manager:
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did not work. I can not even find the dvd drive under devices and printers. We bought a Asus external slim dvd-re and it states "windows cannot start this hardware device because it's configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete"
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
You have a driver conflict in the Registry
Hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press R
In the Run box type: regedit and click OK
When the Registry Editor window opens click the + sign next to the following entries
Click + HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click + SYSTEM
Click + CurrentControlSet
Click + Control
Click + Class
Under Class, look for the following entry
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Once found, left click to select it and look to the right side of the screen.
Do you have entries for UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters?