Michael Norman
Michael Norman, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Director of Technology
77547562

My brother passed away on December 26, 2014. I do not know

Customer Question

My brother passed away on December 26, 2014. I do not know how many years ago he gave me a CD with Family pictures and it is a CD Recordable and it is labeled MGI Photo Suite 8.0 and my cd player on my laptop will not open it. Since my brother has passed away these photos mean a lot to me. I believe Corel now owns this software. Is there any way I can play this CD by obtaining the necessary software to run it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Norman replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is, Mike. I'd like to try and assist you with your issue. When you open the CD and see the file on the CD, can you tell me what type of files they are by giving me the file extension (i.e. ".pza")?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael, I do not understand. I made my deposit. You already have a pending charge for the entire $36 on my credit card and then someone asked me to made another deposit. I have zero information. I do not want to switch to the telephone. I am not paying $56 for absolutely nothing. It is my sincere belief I will be taking this CD to the Geek squad and they will have to put this into onto Windows photo viewer or some other means for me to access it. I am still waiting for my answer for the $36 I have spent with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there? Are you planning on giving me an answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The CD will not open.
You have contacted JustAnswer with your question. I am an independent consultant and have no insight into JustAnswer billing or charges. If you have questions regarding billing or charges you will need to contact JustAnswer customer billing department.
Go to:
http://www.justanswer.com/help
and on the top right corner you will see the options for contacting customer support.
As for your initial issue, you stated that you are unable to open the MGI PhotoSuite file. I asked if you could provide me the file extension of the files that you are trying to open. It is possible that you could download another program that can open the file. For example you could possibly download Adobe Photoshop and use the free 30 day trial to open the MGI files and then convert them to standard .JPG format that you can open with any image viewer.
Click on the Windows start button, and go to "My Computer". Right click on the CD Drive and click open and NOT run. This should allow you to view what files are on the CD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had already tried to open the photos on the CD. The extensions are .ex .exe .pkg .dll ID EXe .z .ini .ins My brother was an engineer and an absolute computer genius Menza and Etta Kappa Nu. This CD is labeled and this is the photo cd he gave me and my name is ***** ***** The only picture that are showing when you open the CD are annimals butterflies etc. I managed to get them open on my own and I saw the gorillas etc....also some of the names I did not see, i.e., water falls, etc. I am about a level two technician. Anything simple I do not need help with. This is a technical issue I have never been involved in or introduced to.
Okay. The .EXE and .DLL files are application related files and not image files. The .EXE file is an executable file associated with installing applications or software. It is possible that your brother included the PhotoSuite software on your CD. You will need to right click on the .EXE file and click Run As Administrator and run it to see what happens and what is installed.