Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I get a blue screen of death after my computer is on hours.

Customer Question

i get a blue screen of death after my computer is on for several hours. it doesnt seem to be related to what im doing. the computer could be sitting idle, i could be playing a game, or browsing the web. i get stop codes 0x000000D1 and 0x0000001E and these seem random. which one i get doesnt seem related to what the computer is being used for as far as i know.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

if it never happens before its been on for a few hours the computer may be overheating. is it a laptop or a desktop ? laptops are a lot more susceptible to it but it can happen to desktops too.

has it got power saving options on it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a desktop i built myself. very large case with a 3 120mm fans on the front and 1 120mm fan at the rear and 1 120mm fan at the top. fronts pushing in, rear and top pulling out. the cpu has massive aftermarket cooler that has two 120mm fans on it. and the video card has 3 90mm fans. the cpu at idle or even general browsing never even hits 35 degrees Celsius, video card at idle or general browsing never hits 40. i have put this thing under stress tests and couldnt get this thing to overheat if i tried lol (unless of course i set all fans to zero percent and stress tested it, but that would be dumb). basically i dont think heat is the issue lol. ive tried it on "performance mode" with all sleep/hybernation/ect modes disabled. the only power saving options i could think of that might be enabled are things in the bios such as "cool and quiet" mode and "C6 state" (i think thats what its called). and those are enabled by default
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Tough to say. Best I can find is probably a driver file is corrupt most likely one for video or the USB ports

You can try reinstalling those

I would also do a test on the ram memory and the hard drive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just installed a new video card. ive had this problem well before the new video card. ill try reinstalling the usb drivers though. ive ran stress tests on the RAM and no issues were found there. but what tests for RAM and the hard drive do you suggest?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

The stress test for the ram were probably fine and the standard Windows test on the drive should be enough as well. You can set it to test sectors though it takes a long time

If it's not that than its down to a corrupted piece of software

Try setting it to safe mode and leave it running for a day and if it doesn't do it than you can start removing things that autostart in the msconfig file and see if you can find which one it is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems like its software. i mean why would a bad hardware piece fail after several hours, while i would think it would take a few minutes at most. im definitely going to try that and see what happens. ill get back with you.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Usually it would be best that made it fail after that long. You say you have that covered I believe you