Satchi
Satchi, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  4+ yrs of Hardware & Software Troubleshoot exp
18133961

I have a Dell Optiplex 380 that USED to boot up to a Dell

Customer Question

I have a Dell Optiplex 380 that USED to boot up to a Dell Logo, then it beeped and directed me to depress F12 to boot to WINDOWS. However, recently I apparently have made a mistake at the point of depressing the F12 button. I must have hit another key that I should not have. The result is that now, when I depress the power button to turn it on, it flashes the Dell 380 logo and beeps as it quickly displays the "F12 Boot Option" in the upper right hand corner, which then disappears as the left hand corner displays the following message:
"Type the system password ***** press
Enter password:" At this point, the curser just sits and blinks waiting on the password.
Since I purchased this unit used, I do not know, nor have, a password. This verbage is all on the black background of the BIOS screen.
Is there not some corrective steps that I could take to overcome this error? I have read pages of instructions concerning BIOS passwords, and since I purchased this from a Dell refurbisher, I sincerely ***** ***** it has a password ***** it.
Can you offer me any help?
Dave
Pelham, AL
Category: Computer
Expert:  Satchi replied 1 year ago.

Hi Welcome to Justanswer.com

Expert:  Satchi replied 1 year ago.

To REset or remove the BIOS password ***** You need to open up the the machine to access motherboard

Expert:  Satchi replied 1 year ago.

Please follow the above video to remove the shown jumper to remove the BIOS password

Expert:  Satchi replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how it goes