Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Yesterday I upgraded my new Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10

Customer Question

Yesterday I upgraded my new Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10 and ever since I cannot prevent it from crashing. It crashes about two minutes after it boots up and the error, according to Windows, is internal_power_error. I searched the Microsoft Support Community for a solution and found two. One required increasing the hibernation file size, which I did - to 100%. That did not fix the issue. The other solution was to uninstall the graphics driver. I booted into safe mode and uninstalled the graphics driver. Still didn't help. What can I do now?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
does it work in safe mode with networking ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so. Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, no. I just checked and it looks like there are no connections available in safe mode.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
do you know the make and model number of the computer ?what i would suggest is to go to the manufacturer website and download and install any updates. particuarly a bios or video update ok rats maybe if you can move it near the router and use an ethernet cord it would workanother thing that i suggest is to hit the windows logo key and Rin the run box typemsconfighit enterunder services tabCHECK THE BUTTON TO HIDE MICROSOFT SERVICESuncheck everything that remainshit applyunder startup tabif there is a list uncheck everythingif it has a link to task manager use thatright click and disable everything in the startup section if you cant get on the internet with that computer you can use another computer to download the updates and copy them to a flash drive and move them to the affected computer and install that way. if you want to pay a little extra i can get you my phone number and try to work on it with you that way. maybe even a skype call so i can see the screen with you. if we can get an internet connection i can log in remotely to work on it directly. i am putting that up as an additional service its up to you if you want to take it. i can continue this way as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Toshiba P55t-B, has an Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU at 2.50GHz, 12.0 GB RAM, Looks like Windows 10 Home was the OS that downloaded and installed. I thought it was supposed to be the same version that you had on the PC to begin with, which was Windows 8.1 Pro. Anyway, it is 64-bit architecture. The laptop is only a couple of months old and I updated everything as soon as I got it. Unlikely to be much in the way of updates at this point, I think, but I'll check.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
there are a few of those on toshiba website there should be 3 more numbers after the B to narrow it down i pulled one up and the last bios update was from february but you dont know how long it was on the shelf before you bought it so it might still help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. It's P55t-B5262
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the part number on the bottom of the computer is: PSPNVU-00U00W
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
this is the page for driversthere is one patch for windows 10http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200009850
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so I've determined that there is a newer display driver and from both the Microsoft forum and the Toshiba forum, it looks like this might be the issue. However, I've downloaded the driver onto a jump drive and moved it to the laptop, but when I click on the driver itself and choose to install it, I get an error message during the process - something about autodetect unable to install or something (maybe because I have no Internet connection at this time?). So, if I go the other route and go to the graphic adapter in the Device Manager and try to update the driver from there, that process can't locate the driver file - even though I have navigated directly to the folder in which I've copied the driver file. It's as if the computer doesn't even recognize it as a valid file type.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
try right ciicking on it and select run as administratorif it still doesnt work please give me the exact error message