Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Windows 10 update fails: WindowsUpdate_C1900208" "WindowsUpdate_dt000.

Customer Question

Windows 10 update fails: WindowsUpdate_C1900208" "WindowsUpdate_dt000. I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit with 6 gb ram. I have 38 gb of space on a 250 gb ssd.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
have you tried any thing from your side to fix the problem if yes let me know what you have already tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I deleted the files in the folder C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
Then I ran windows update, error code C1900208 still persists.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
What this error means is "your windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted". 1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder. 2. Now, run de command prompt as an administrator. Type in:"wuauclt.exe /updatenow" 3. go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it running now,I forgot to type, that I tried this yesterday. We will se what happens in a few minutes. Its at 2% now.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
alright, please update me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, Preparing for installation. . .
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Looks good till now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel dumb, I did this yesterday, and could not get past the aforementioned error code.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
while updating you got windows error which corrupted the updates however after removing it by following the steps i gave must take care of the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, rebooting. . .
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know did it boot fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
reboot caused my computer to lock up and I had to do a hard reset. I have been removing the files from C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download all day without success.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here's a copy of my update history for today. . .
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Windows 10 update fail with this popup do you get any error code please let me know that.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
The Winodows 10 for 64bit requires 32GB for the update however you SSD has 38GB space left in which windows create RAM drive and that requires more the 5 gigs however windows 10 is a brand new os in that case Microsoft has not released any solution to error codes as it was released on teh 29th of July.
My suggestion as per my experience i would suggest you to backup all your important file and folders and try to free up as many bytes you can and then run the update try to free 100 gb and then try i must say you will not have a problem updating to wndows 10 pro.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'l try freeing as much space as I can. Not sure I can unload 100 gb of files.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Take you time try to get an external drive and try to unload about 50 GB and then try. your ssd is too small in size as per todays softwares and features are concerned you will need a bigger drive in future or a storage space on an external drive.