Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician
62741268

What is needed to turn the mike on my hp elitebook 8440 on?

Customer Question

what is needed to turn the mike on my hp elitebook 8440 on? it works with skype but not on its own.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. Try these steps please...Click Start , and then click Control Panel.
Click Hardware and Sounds, and then click Managing audio devices.
A Sound window opens.
Click the Recording tab.
To test the microphone, speak into it. To test line-in, send a signal to the line-in port from the source audio device (press play from the audio player). Look at the gray bars next to the device name on the recording tab:
If the gray bars next to the device name change to green, this device is active and an audio signal is passing through the microphone or line-in port. This step shows that the problem is related to sound settings in the software that uses the microphone. If you have not already done so, set the selected device to default and adjust the volume levels>(see below) When the device is set to default and the levels are set, use and adjust the sound recording or voice carrying software.
If the gray bars remain gray and inactive, the device is not recognizing a signal. Leave the recording tab open and go to the next step.
Open the Recording Audio troubleshooter by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio recording.‌ Administrator permission required
..
..
ADJUST SOUND LEVEL
The speaker volume for the microphone and line-in might be muted or turned down, causing microphone and line-in problems. Use the following steps to check the speaker volume levels for line-in and microphone:
Unplug all headphones or audio devices before starting.
Click Start , and then click Control Panel.
Control Panel opens.
Click Hardware and Sound.
Hardware and Sound opens.
Click Sound.
The Sound window opens.
Select Speakers, and then click Properties.
The Speakers Properties window opens.
Click the Levels tab.
Click the Muted button next to Microphone and any other line-in that is muted.
Use the slider bar to raise the level for Microphone and each line-in to at least 75.
Click OK.