IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My clerk has a Windows 7 Professional, 64 machine and received

Customer Question

My clerk has a Windows 7 Professional, 64 machine and received an automatic update yesterday. Now many of the Microsoft Windows programmes do not work. e.g. Windows Outlook, Windows Update, etal. Even Internet Explorer is stopping. The message is 'The extended attributes are inconsistent. Program will not open'.
Help! I have never seen this before and there is nothing on the Microsoft website. Since Lenovo put this update through yesterday, I assume that it is the problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question. This has been a reported issue with a recent Windows update, and to resolve this, please carry out the following steps: Right-click on a free area on the desktop, and select "Personalize". In the window that comes up, click on the "Sounds" link at the bottom. Now, change the "Sound Scheme" to "Windows Default". Click Apply > OK, and then check if this resolves the issue all right. If you need more help, please use the Reply tab to continue our conversation. Otherwise, I'd appreciate it if you could kindly take a moment to rate my service by clicking on (and submit) a star rating at the top of this page. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No effect. maybe you need more info. When she clicks on Microsoft Outlook, she gets c: Program file\Microsoft Office15\root\office15\OUTLOOK.EX 'The extended attributes are inconsistent. Outlook will not open'
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
(Please DISREGARD the automated phone call offer that will show up on the screen now, and just see below.) Hmm, I see. Resetting the (broken) sound scheme as directed should have fixed this; however, since it did not work for you, let's continue further. Now, go to Start, type in "system restore" in the search field, and press ENTER. Do you get this same error with system restore as well? Do let me know.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
If system restore opens up fine, please do NOT carry out a restore yet - it will not complete successfully with Norton installed. Just let me know, please - and I'll provide you with further steps accordingly. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No result. Message is: "C:\Windows\system32\rstrui.exe The extended attributes are inconsistent."
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
OK. Now, please go back to the "Personalize" window one more time, and then click on and change to a different Basic/Aero Theme listed. Done that, restart once - does this make any difference to your issue? Do keep me posted. Thank you.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
If this does not work either, please go back to Personalize > Sounds, and set the Sound Scheme to "No sounds" this time. Click Apply > OK, and check the issue again. One of these two fixes has to work for the "The extended attributes are inconsistent" error; do let me know please. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changing the Aero Theme did not work (and pissed off my clerk). To be clear, it was a Lenovo update yesterday that was the last change made. It seems to have loaded in a Lenovo Security Center program and an Adobe AIR program. I will try the sound thing again.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
I see, please set the "Sound scheme" to No Sounds as well, and let me know.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
If this does not work either, may I set up a quick remote session, which will allow me to connect directly to the affected system and check the issue here?Please reply back to me below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No effect and it is a Lenovo Solutions Center program that was installed yesterday and it does not work either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is time you had a direct look at the machine. what do I do to allow this/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried deleting the programs installed yesterday, but Windows Installer does not work either.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay; I had to leave for lunch by the time you replied back to me; back now. Let's get started with the remote session now. Please open up the following link on the affected system:www.teamviewer.com Click 'Download TeamViewer'. A 'TeamViewer' file will be downloaded by your browser (at the very bottom.) OPEN/RUN the file, then install and run TeamViewer accordingly. Reply back to me with the ID and the password ***** (while keeping the TeamViewer window open.) If you face any issues, just reply back to me below.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't run. same message 'The extended attributes are inconsistent'
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
OK, please do one thing now. First off, restart the system and tap down the F8 key repeatedly at bootup (just after the system powers back on) until the Advanced Options menu comes up. Do you see a "repair your computer" option listed there? Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know what you want but the system is fighting me. It doesn't want to go to the black screen. I am on my third try and from what I can see it only gives me options on how to start Windows. do we start in safe mode, etc
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, I see - this is a tricky one indeed. Could do try booting up in Safe Mode this time, when prompted, and check if you are able to open up the programs in that mode? Do let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Booted it in safe mode. No effect. still cant open programs.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
OK. Now, do you have a Windows 7 installation disk with you, by any chance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Short of carrying out a system recovery to restore your system back to factory defaults; I'm afraid I have run out of ideas here. However, let me open up your question to our other experts now, who might be able to assist you further with this issue. You will be automatically notified by email when another expert picks this up. Please do not rate until your issue has been resolved. Thank you.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro.

I have read the chat history between you and the previous Expert.
It looks like none of the built-in Windows 7 repair features work. For that reason, you will need to use a Windows 7 repair or installation disk. That will allow you to access the "Repair Your Computer" option that is usually available when you restart the computer and keep pressing the F8 key.
Since you don't have a Windows 7 disk, it is possible to create a repair disk using any working Windows 7 computer.
If that doesn't work, it is possible to download the Windows 7 files (ISO image) from the Internet which can be used to burn the Windows 7 disk.
If you would like to use a Windows 7 disk to attempt to repair your clerk's Windows 7 computer, let me know, I can provide the full instructions for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately this office is closed July 31 to August 9 for vacation. I will get back to you on August 10th. I do have another Windows 7 Professional 64 machine that we can use. The one I am on now is a 64 machine downgraded to 32 for the accounting software.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hi again!
That's fine - you can send me a message here on August 9 or later, whenever you want to continue with the repair process.
In case you require any other assistance, let me know.
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time. I found a local computer repair person to visit my office and repair the computer.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! That's fine. I am glad the problem has been solved! In case you require any other assistance, feel free to let me know.Regards,IT Miro