Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Networks & Security Engineer
76221641

My Asus P8V77 Workstation motherboard quit connecting to the

Customer Question

My Asus P8V77 Workstation motherboard quit connecting to the Internet. It connects to the LAN fine, but cannot get past the router. What happened?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today, I'm sorry about the issue, Does internet work with wired/cable connection? Is there any error or message when connecting the HP windows 7 computer to your Wi-Fi/wireless router ? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am working with a set of 3 computers all hardwired to the LAN and cable Internet through a switch and router. I can switch between the computers using a "KVM" switch. All the others work fine. I haven't used this workstation lately,but needed to now. The only error message is when I open a browser, it says it cannot get past the router. When I look at the "Nwtwork sharing center" is shows that it is connected to the LAN but not the Internet. If I map it, it shows it being conected to the router. I have not changed any configurations in the router--any harwired devices should get through!
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
What is the operating system for the 3 computers (windows 7, 8,...)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want or need a subscription to this service, I just need an answer to this problem. Usually I can figure out any problems I have, but I don't have time to spend on it it now..This "unconnectivity" has persisted for several days. One of the first things I did after turning it on a few days ago was to install Norton AV. But when I had problems getting to the Internet, and couldn't work them out by configuring the NAV I removed it and turned OFF the firewall. But I still canot get to the internet, only the lan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The OS on all 3 computers is windows 7
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
Please click start, type cmd in the search field and hit enter, A window will appear, called the Command Prompt (a black box) type in ipconfig, You will see a lot of information generate in this window. please scroll up you tell me what is your “Default Gateway” IP address. To cancel your subscription please click : http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-cancel-my-subscription
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It shows the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 just as it ias supposed to. It also shows the IP address, and DHCP is enabled/
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
Please try to setup a static IP address to this computer, click start > control panel > network and sharing Then when the Network and Sharing Center opens, click on Change adapter settingsRight-click on your local adapter and select Properties. In the Local Area Connection Properties window highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) then click the Properties button. Now select the radio button Use the following IP address and enter this IP address : 192.168.1.7Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1 DNS 1 : 8.8.8.8DNS 2 : 8.8.4.4 Click Ok and close the windows Note : Do the same configuration for your wireless connection, but this time type 192.168.1.8 for the IP address once you finish please check your Internet connection Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First, I don't know what wireless connection you refer to. I changed the desktop wired connection to a fixed IP address as you suggested, and got a response like "Do you want Windows to fix this?" I checked "no, continue with troubleshooting." it next said that DHCP was not enabled in network connection (#2)" and when I tried to open Chrome I got the same message: "This device is blocked by access control in the router."
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
can you desactivate your firewall and your antivirus for a moment and test again thanks
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I told you before that I had removed the NAV and turned OFF the firewall. I think the problem is in the router. I have a setting turned on in the router for wireless connections called "MAC filtering" but it shouldn't--and never has--affected hardwired connections.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
Is Your computer contains a wireless card, Was your computer working wireless connection previously ? can you repeat the same configuration that i sent you and when it ask you if you want Windows to fix this, select yes. If the problem persists, please try to reset your router to its defaults settings Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fixed the problem by myself. I logged onto my router and looked at "Connected Devices." In addition to showing the connected devices, there was also a column that showed "Allowed" or "blocked." (Apparently this was a NEW FEATURE when I upgraded the router firmware some time ago! So, I followed the directions to go to another screen to "Allow" the blocked device. Then I switched over to the other computer and tried it. It works!
Thanks for at least trying...but as I said, it looked like it was in the router. I just couldn't understand why it would be blocked in the router because I have never used any scripts to route or block hardwired devices on my LAN.
Do I still need to "cancel" this subscription so that I won't get charged again?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad you got the problem resolved. yes you can cancel your subscription any time you want, just follow the instructions in this link : http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-cancel-my-subscription Note : Only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied . Please do not rate my answer as poor/bad service , if you are not satisfied. JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied. Thank you