Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Asus x550c won't turn on after a 20v adapter was plugged in

Customer Question

Asus x550c won't turn on after a 20v adapter was plugged in (the right voltage is 17V). Laptop does not start & battery smelt burnt. Is it bad power jack or motherboard? I'm not sure what the adapter is now indicating because is flashing.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
i my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.
I am sorry to hear that you are facing problem with your computer.
May i know are you using original ac adapter with the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the original is bad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, are you there?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
you need an adapter with Output: 19V 3.42A 65w this is a compitable adapter.
if you have smelled burn odour then it must have burned the motherboard and it has a risk of battery exploding if you are not using a compatible ac adapter.
unplug the adapter and remove the battery and take it to a laptop repair workshop to get the motherboard repaired, check the repair price before you opt for a repair and you can decide if its good to buy a new laptop or get this repaired.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please call, I want to buy the motherbd. if that's the only issue & replace it myself, should I? Is there a fuse or other component instead that needs to be replaced?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Phone call is not possible right now as it midnight however we are on a live question answer mode and i will answer all your queries.
There is no fuse found on laptops or computers its the power supply unit and the ad adapter which as an inbuilt fuse in a form or component circuit integrated design.
i am suggesting you a repair shop just because it can be more than a motherboard replacement it could have burnt the battery and hard drive could have been effected too. if you buy a motherboard and then you will come to know the memory ram chip is bad too then you will have to but things one by one and if you take this to a repair shop they will check the entire laptop and will tell you the repair or replacement of the parts gone bad.
Check the estimate and according decide upon a new laptop or get this one repaired.
I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further