Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a Windows 7 that failed because of a BSOD. I cloned

Customer Question

I have a Windows 7 that failed because of a BSOD. I cloned it to another drive partition so that I can work with it without destroying the original. But the cloned copy does not show up either in Set up or Boot Order.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me, why the BSOD was appearing and if you are not able to use Windows 7 due to BSOD then, how did you cloned Windows ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using a second hard drive with the same Window 7 Ultimate installed on (which was the result of the BSOD). The window 7 with BSOD goes through the loading process up until Desktop shows up then BSOD pops up. BSOD also appears with Safemode with Networking. I can boot in Safe mode with command prompt only.I used the good Windows 7 (on another hard drive in same computer) to do the cloning with Macrium Reflect. I can give you the stop codes in BSOD if you want them. (Sorry for the delay I had other problems.) I went through a lot of Forums but with no avail.Frank
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
OK, which one did you clone, the BSOD one or the good one ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(I hit the wrong key and lost my answer.)
Here we go again.
Disk 1 (500 GB) has the original W7 which now is disabled by BSOD. I thought I cloned it to the second partition of Disk 2 but it turned out to be an image and appears on the 2nd partition as a file name.
Disk 2 (1 TB) partition 1 has W7 that I installed as a result of the BSOD. I am using it to write this. It is OK. Partition 2 is where I tried to 'clone' Disk 1 but it appears to be an image with a file name showing in partition 2.If I could clear the BSOD I'd be happy and the cloning problem would be a moot thing.I have the error codes for the BSOD.
Frank Verano
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the software installed with which you have made the image of Windows 7 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to give first priority to restoring my original W7 now disabled by BSOD. It is on a 500 GB disk on my computer.
The second hard drive on my computer is 1 Terrabyte. Partition 1 on which I installed Windows 7 is the one I am using now. Partition 2 has a file on it called the image of the disabled W7 with BSOD (the 500 GB disk. I expect to delete it if I can get the W7 with BSOD fixed. (I want Windows 10 to go here.). (Partition 3 is available.)As expected I can scan the files on the BSOD plagued W7 while I am using the good copy of W7. If you think you can fix the BSOD in a phone call, then yes. Do you need to take control of the computer?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
I can take control of the PC and try to fix the problem, but before that I would like to know, if you have software installed with which you have made the image of Windows 7 ? because without that software nothing can be done with the image file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I understand. Hold off any call for 1 hr while attend to other things. Start time 02:05 P my time (Pacific)
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I've been out a lot. The software that created the image is Macrium Reflect and it is on this drive where this copy of W7 s located.
Frank
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry, at this point I am out of ideas, I will open the question for the other experts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it is a stinker of a problem. Just for your information, I am examining the dump files (of the BSOD-afflicted W7). I used a program called Bluescreenview. The BSOD was caused by file "halmacpi.dll+71a", a hardware abstraction layer DLL caused by driver halmacpi.dll. I haven't figured out what to do about it yet. Frank Verano
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello:
I'm back with good news and information for you to add to your repertoire of tricks. I fixed the BSOD. This is how I did it.
I looked at the memory dump for a clue. The first clue was a wireless adapter. (Remember that I had both BSOD W7 and the ReInstall W7 on dual boot.) I also noted a second symptom: The BSOD occurred only on Normal boot up and in the Safe Mode with Networking but not with Safe mode without Networking. It always occurred a short time after boot up and the time when the BSOD kicked in was always dependent on how many programs I turned off at boot time. The second clue was that it was related to the Internet and it occurred after boot time just when the wireless would kick in.
So to fix the problem, I opened the Device Manager in the Safe Mode and disabled all the drivers involving the wireless function. Of course, I had no Internet then. Then the computer booted up but it was somewhat screwed up from my monkeying around helplessly trying to 'guess' what the problem is. What's the lesson to take from this? (1) look at the dump; (2) pay attention to when and under what circumstances you get the BSOD. (2) would require to do some data gathering such as testing the boot up after each change you make and keeping a log of it. It did take patience, however, and not all are inclined to be that analytical.
I hope this gives you another tool on handling the BSOD.
Thanks for your help.
Frank Verano