Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

My laptop keeps freezing or blue screening. I ran chkdsk /r

Customer Question

my laptop keeps freezing or blue screening. I ran chkdsk /r and it's still happening. I try to run sfc /scannow, but it never completes. the event viewer shows many many event 137 ntfs errors, but also a lot of event 9 iaStor errors.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.
I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your computer.
I see you have tried all the possible troubleshooting steps which should have taken care of the problem however in this case i would suggest you a clean windows reinstall or if you are using a branded computer like Dell, Hp or Sony then there is a ways to run a factory restore steps.
let me know the make and model number of the computer.
Do you have a backup of your important files and data.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a data backup. It was an ASUS laptop from 2011 - X53SV, which has the same motherboard as K53SV.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
do you have any important data on the Asus computer which you need to backup or save.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im going to hook it up to a docking station to try and get the data off using my alternate desktop computer, which I just grabbed from out of storage. I'm not sure what I should do exactly; I'm not sure if I should just try to transfer the data, or if I should try again to run sfc /scannow on the laptop drive using the desktop computer, or try defragmenting, or what.The bad drive has two partitions, and I only started using the second partition within the last month or so. It was originally refurbished. The OS is on the C: partition, and the D: partition was originally completely blank. Do you think the second partition could have something to do with the problem? There's mainly movies on there - about 30 to 50 GB worth, out of a 300 GB partition. If I run chkdsk /r, does that work on only the main C: partition? Do I have to do it again on the D: partition? Is it possible or practical to try chkdsk /r or sfc /scannow on the other partition? What do you think? Anything else I should try? Is the hard disk simply bad?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Try to backup your asus hard drive to you desktop and then you can simply format the drive and reinstall a fresh windows copy.