Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Yesterday I did a stupid thing and answered the phone and

Customer Question

Hi, yesterday I did a stupid thing and answered the phone and some one said they were from microsoft and that my computer had some things in it that were harmfull to my computer and that they would help me and that my warrentee for windows had run out and that was why I had this problem. They had controll of my conputer and that is when I got suspicious and started asking questions because I have virus protection they got angey and deleted everything on my home page. I did delete the things of theirs that I could find is there anything else that I should do to make sure they can't get into it again
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.
This is known as a telephone support scam. Just so you know; never ever let anyone into your computer when they call you and tell you that they are from "any reputable company" and that your computer has a virus, or it has errors etc.
no one knows what inside your computer and if you have paid them you can call your bank/card to initiate a charge back as banks are also very well aware of this scam.
the only way they could take control is by instructing you to download a program, be it vnc, teamviewer or join.me (etc).
If you delete/uninstall the program; then they cannot access again.
BUT some legitimate companies like us also do remote support; the point is you don't let anyone in when they you that there's a problem; you let the technician in when you contact the tech and you know that there definitely is a visible problem.
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
And if i have answered your question; then a rating by clicking the star icon on the top right will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks