Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a HP laptop with Vista. While online with my payroll

Customer Question

I have a HP laptop with Vista. While online with my payroll company I tried to export a copy of a check to be printed. Now I can only print what I input. I cannot print attachments or anything online (like if I order something and want a confirmation). I get through the print command and then a new window opens in my documents file asking me to save the document. I tried that but it does not save either. Help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question. Are you having this issue with printing, with any specific program or with all programs? May I set up a quick remote session, which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you with this issue? Please reply back to me below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said, it will not print attachments (like if I get an email with an attachment), if I go online and need to print something, etc. I would prefer not having a remote session as I do not know your company yet. Have you heard of anything like this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
I see, no issues; let's continue troubleshooting the issue on this page for now. This issue usually comes up when the "Print to File" property is enabled in your printer's properties. First off, please go to Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Printers.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Next, make sure that your printer is set as default first (with a checkmark next to it.)
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Next, right-click on the printer, and select "Properties". Click on the "Ports" tab. Is the "FILE: Print to File" option TICKED, by any chance? Do let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have "Hardware Printers" on my control panel. I did go into the printer with the check mark and then properties, then port. I do not see a section with "File: Print to File"
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Please scroll down the list of Ports; do you see an option like this:https://protext.com/support/GenericTextPrinter2.png Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
OK. Now, please confirm: do you use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome as your browser?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Typically, Internet Explorer. However, if I get an email with an attachment that needs to be printed, it takes me to the "Documents File" for saving. So probably it is not the browser. Is there somewhere else to look for the Print to File command?
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
I see, no issues. Usually, the email program's Print function is tied in with the browser, so any changes made to the Print settings in the browser will affect the email program as well. Now, please open up Internet Explorer, and then right-click and print any page. When the Print window comes up, do you see the "Print to file" checkbox ticked there? Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is not checked
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, odd. And, did you make sure that your default printer is selected in that window, and not any other option like "Microsoft XPS Document Writer"? Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
OK, a remote session might be necessary here, so that I can cross-check your printer properties thoroughly at my end, and make sure that nothing looks amiss. Our remote session will be 100% encrypted, and you can see what I'm doing at all times. If you are still not comfortable with this, just let me know and I'll forward your question to our other experts now. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we will try the remote
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let's get started with the remote session now. Please open up the following link:http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=44bd9952-a0a4-4395-ac12-c71e148b5207Click 'I agree', then download the remote tool when prompted. An 'Elsinore Screen Connect' file will be downloaded by your browser (at the very bottom.) OPEN/RUN the file from your downloads, and I'll be connected. If you face any issues, just reply back to me below.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing is happening. I click "run" and nothing
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, could you download the remote file one more time, and then click "Save" when prompted this time? Done saving, click Run - an application prompt should come up; click "Run" one more time at that prompt. If you still face issues, let's try a different remote tool this time. Please open up the following link:www.teamviewer.com Click 'Download TeamViewer'. A 'TeamViewer' file will be downloaded by your browser (at the very bottom.) OPEN/RUN the file, then install and run TeamViewer accordingly. Reply back to me with the ID and the password ***** (while keeping the TeamViewer window open.) If you face any issues, just reply back to me below.Thank you.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
You seem to have gone offline now; do leave me a reply when you are available next, and we will take this further. Thank you.