Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

How do I unlock my Sony Vaio if I lost the password. I put

Customer Question

How do I unlock my Sony Vaio if I lost the password. I put the computer in storage and forgot to store the password.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your Sony Vaio computer?Does it have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8?Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?Is it okay to reset the computer fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a password ***** want?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it's xp. Last time I used it was a little over a year ago. I think we could start over at this point.
Thank you. What is showing at the computer screen now?Does it show Windows XP? Or Windows Vista or Windows 7 or 8, etc.?Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?Or does it only show a password *****?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just showing a password *****
Turn off the computer (press and hold the power on/off button for about 10 seconds), then turn it on. Does it show the Sony / Vaio logo, then show the Password ***** right away? Or does it show anything else? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At first it had a black screen with all the stuff about safe mode and stuff. Then it restarted without me doing anything and it asks me to press Carl alt del to log on
Thank you. During the whole process of turning on the computer, does it show Windows XP at some point?Press at the same time the 3 keys Ctrl, Alt, Del, then does it show a username? If not, can you type in the username with Administrator then click OK / login without entering any password?- If that does not work, can you shut down the computer normally, then turn it back on, then right away, keep pressing and releasing the key F8 quickly and repeatedly, and it should show you a menu. Then do you see the option Repair Your computer?Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it gives my user name and underneath asks for password
Does it say any Windows version?Does it let you delete your username, then type in the username with Administrator then click OK / login without entering any password?- If that does not work, can you shut down the computer normally, then turn it back on, then right away, keep pressing and releasing the key F8 quickly and repeatedly, and it should show you a menu. Then do you see the option Repair Your computer?Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7 ultimate
Thank you. Please shut down the computer, then turn it back on, then right away, keep pressing and releasing the key F10 quickly and repeatedly, then let me know if it shows any menu / option. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it's asking me for a password ***** disc or flash drive. How do I get one of those
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then what after F10
Do you see anything different after trying F10 key? If yes, press Enter key, then select the recovery option.- Can you please watch the video at the website below:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DekclaZkcFQ, and let me know if it shows something similar or different?Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All u get is the screen that says press Cntrl alt delete or use the windows security but to to log on.
Sorry, let's try with key F8. Please shut down the computer, then turn it back on, then right away, keep pressing and releasing the key F8 quickly and repeatedly, and it should show you a menu. Then do you see the option Repair Your computer?Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had something that said computer repair. Pushed it and it worked some stuff and the. Say there was no problem. And asked for my password. Now u can't duplicate that screen by pressing f8. The video said f19 so I tried that and I'm getting nothing
Shut down the computer, then turn it back on, then try F8 key again, does it show a menu with Safe Mode options and Repair your Computer option , etc.?Also, do you have the windows 7 disk and/or operating system / recovery / restore disk? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same old song and dance.
I'm sorry. Do you have the windows 7 disk and/or operating system / recovery / restore disk? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In storage. We will have to pick this up again tomorrow.
No problem. When you have that disc, insert it to the computer, then shutdown the computer, then turn it back on, then tap the key F11 and select / boot from the cd/dvd drive and continue to reinstall windows (or you may have to use the F2 key, then set the boot / startup menu with the cd/dvd drive as the first order and continue, and/or if there is an Assist button on the computer, then shut down the computer, then press the Assist button.) Please get back to me tomorrow, or whenever you are available in order to continue. Thank you for your patience.