Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

How can I locate a breakdown of the amount of memory various

Customer Question

How can I locate a breakdown of the amount of memory various programs are taking up on my computer?
Category: Computer
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
When you reference "memory" are you referring to storage space or RAM utilization?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The storage space - says I have very little memory left on computer and I haven't put that much on it - Don't have many graphics except photos and they only take up a small amount of memory - I am trying to find out how much each thing I have on there is taking up - My old computer had a circle with a breakdown inside it.
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
You can use this tool to analyze your disk usage: http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/index.htmlIt is a freeware tool
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
You can also run "Disk Cleanup" built in to Win 7
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Windows includes a built-in tool that deletes temporary files and other unimportant data. To access it, right-click one of your hard drives in the Computer window and select Properties.Click the Disk Cleanup button in the disk properties window.Select the types of files you want to delete and click OK. This includes temporary files, log files, files in your recycle bin, and other unimportant files.You can also clean up system files, which don’t appear in the list here. Click the Clean up system files button if you also want to delete system files.After you do, you can click the More Options button and use the Clean up button under System Restore and Shadow Copies to delete system restore data. This button deletes all but the most recent restore point, so ensure your computer is working properly before using it – you won’t be able to use older system restore points.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - will try and get back to you -
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
No problem please let me know!