Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

My Inspiron 15R got left on and the battery went almost to

Customer Question

My Inspiron 15R got left on and the battery went almost to 0. Recharged ok, but now won't recognize keyboard commands to get to password ***** Any tips?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today. Please try the following and let me know the response. Remove all external devices, CDs, AC Adapter and battery from the computer. Keep the AC Adapter and battery unplugged.Hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. (Nothing will appear on the display and none of the lights will light up.)Plug in the ac adapter ONLY. (Please note that a power indicator light should be lit on the ac adapter when it is plugged in).Normally power on the notebook. Check if the issue persists.If the unit does not power on, remove the ac adapter and insert the battery into the system.Plug the ac adapter back into the system, the battery charging indicator light will light up. If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!Thank you!S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen still does not recognize keyboard commands or the mouse. The problem persists. To be clear, the screen has the screen saver image, the time/date, shows that I am connected to wifi and that the battery is fully charged, but whe. I hit return, does not give me the password *****
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Have you tried an external keyboard or mouse? Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, my external mouse does not work either
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Please try the instructions in the link below.http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN115351/EN Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shall I wait for a reply?
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, have you tried the instructions in the link I have given? Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I did not see that link. In fact, I found that link myself before I called you and it links to a page that says "this document not available"
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Have you tried removing the Laptop battery and Adapter then, pressing and holding the power button without the battery and Adapter? Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but I'll try it again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Have you connected any external devices to the computer? Please restart the computer and as soon as it restarts, repeatedly press F2 or Del key to get into BIOS Setup utility. In BIOS, press F9 or F7 to load defaults and press F10 to save and exit from BIOS. Then, check if the issue persists. Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The issue persists
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I would suggest you do a BIOS update, however it will be difficult and contact a local technician to get the issue resolved. I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we giving up?
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I will open the question for others. So that you can get responses from other experts too. Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Do you have any external devices connected to it right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night I initiated a restore from the BIOS. it worked and now I am all set.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
OK if you need help with something else let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your computer.