Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  25 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

Just had my hard drive replaced (Lenova A720). After reinstalling

Customer Question

Just had my hard drive replaced (Lenova A720). After reinstalling Windows via the 6 recovery disks, keep getting an error message that "Windows could not complete the installation:
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. What recovery disks did you get to do the installation? Also, how far does it get in the installation before it fails?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lenovo sent me 6 disks labeled Operating System Recovery Discs. It goes all the way through the installation on all six disks, says it's complete, and then reboots. When it reboots, I get the message saying "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation. I've done it twice.
Do you know if they sent you the discs that are specific to a device? The reason I ask is that the result you're getting is similar to what would happen if you used the recovery disks for a different computer on this computer. You've done the right things up to this point in asking for the recovery disks from them – that's the best way to do it. But I would like to verify that you received the discs that are correct for the A720. Also when it is going through the recovery, does it have the option to remove the partitions on the disk and allow it to create the partitions? That is the step in particular during the installation that, if it does not do it correctly, causes it to fail in this way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would assume so. The LEnovo technician ordered them for me. No, it has no such options regarding partitions.
What does it say on the disks?
The error you are seeing is from the sysprep utility, which is supposed to clear out the config and allow you to run through the initial config wizard
If you restart the computer and then when it's starting up, tap on the F8 key, do you get the option to do a recovery or reinstall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F8 does nothing. Brings me to an administrator screen, reboots and then I get the same message over again. It's OK--I'll wait and talk with Lenovo again on Monday. Ticks me off, though...
I was hoping that F8 would bring you to the special boot screen where you can do a factory restore. It sounds like the computer is installing the operating system but then isn't able to boot up on the final step. That's why I was hoping this would work. Please let me know if today the else I can do. But appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service at your convenience. I will still be available to you if you need me. Mike