Richard Hall
Richard Hall, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Chief Information Officer at Spectrum Contracting Serv.
77993500

I have a old Access XP program using access runtime XP 2002,

Customer Question

I have a old Access XP program using access runtime XP 2002, I have upgraded the install package to allow 32 and 64 bit installations. I have it to working on a new install by not allowing a newer version of Office Access Runtime to install. The problem is when a computer is already upgraded or gets upgraded to a newer version of Access Runtime it doesn't work or stops working. I cant just uninstall it and reinstall the old access runtime. There are changes or system files beyond the uninstall process that I can't identify that need to be removed.
Thanks, Jim
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard Hall replied 1 year ago.
Jim,My recommendation would be to create a virtual box, you can download the software from oracle. Install whatever Operating you wish on the virtual box that does not cause these problems and install access on that virtual machine as well. It will open from within your operating system and look just like the original xp/vista Operating system within its own window with its own settings.That would be one way to create the environment you wish and not be bothered by all of the updates causing you problems.If that's something you would consider it's a pretty easy process. Which I can give you the steps. You'll just need the media from a prior Operating system and the appropriate product key.
Jim, I was following up to see if you had a chance to review my comments and see what additional information or assistance I may provide in order to help you solve your problem.Thanks,Richard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard,
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. Running a separate virtual machine is not an acceptable solution. I need my old outlook program to run on windows 7 and 8, 32 and 64 bit. We have resolved all the compatibility problems with my current IT person with limited access programing experience. Everything works fine until someone installs an newer version of Access and it breaks the program. It seems we can install a newer version of Access as long as we exclude the Access runtime file. I want a solution uninstall all the Access files that broke the program. Just uninstalling Access or deleting the runtime file and reinstalling our program doesn't work it leaves some offending remnant files behind that prevents our program from working. I need to find those files and remove them or replace the Access files it overwrote. Right now the only solution is to format the computer and reinstall Windows excluding Access from Office then reinstall our Access program and everything works fine again. It's not that our program wont work on a particular machine. it's that it wont work after a newer version of Outlook gets installed. This could also happen on a virtual computer unless it was running XP. You can see our program at www.projecttrackerpro.com. The programmer that wrote the program is unavailable and we are just trying to keep it running for current customers. Telling them to reformat there computers or run a virtual machine after they broke it wont fly. It also seems to run fine on windows 10-64 bit but with the same issues. My Idea is to make a image or copy of the access portion of windows on a working machine and then have the ability copy it back over after somebody breaks it. I don't know how to isolate those files or where they all are. That is what I need you for.
Thanks, Jim