Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have a QW2GB 1GB Native 2GB Compressed Sony mini data cartridge

Customer Question

I have a QW2GB 1GB Native 2GB Compressed Sony mini data cartridge which has back-up from a computer used in 1997-98. The operating system was probably Windows 95. How can this data be transformed to a format that I can easily read?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.
you have data saved on windows 95 platform however if you can tell me what kind of data file is it and you want to save it on which windows platform.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle,
I am not super tech savvy. This information is very important in an asset division divorce case. It is the back-up from a jointly owned business and it needs to be in readable format on a CD or drive, etc. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
I would like to tell you that windows 95 was a 16 bit windows data softwarew platform however connecting the drive to a modern days computer will not even recognize the Travan Tape as you would need a good sata controller and a sata drive connected to a computer to read the tape drive.
Possibilities: you would need a windows 98 os or a windows xp computer then you can install the sata drive and a sata card then you need to install the tape drive driver sofware which will recognize the drive to the computer as a driver letter, now you can read the file format.
solution: Best solution is to look for a data recovery company nearby your area get the tape to them and they can recover the data if they have the drive and the tape must be in good condition to be read by the tape drive.
I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further