Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.
59725966

We got a letter saying we need to up date our system. I would

Customer Question

We got a letter saying we need to up date our system. I would like someone to come put in the new device. Can you tell me how much this will be?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Are you referring to a letter from a cable company like comcast, verizon, etc?Did it mention a need for a new modem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir,the letter is from xfinity. We are not having any trouble with our tv, the letter just said we need a new modem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the issue is that they are upgrading their infrastructure to allow for faster speeds, and are recommending that everyone upgraded to a docsis3 modem (you probably have a docsis2 rated one now) to be able to take advantage of the higher speeds. Really though, if you're happy with the speed of your internet connection now, and you own your modem (it is not rented/leased from comcast) then you don't necessarily have to upgrade. The biggest reason to do it is so they'll stop bugging you - once you upgrade and have the potential for a faster connection then they'll push you to upgrade to a faster plan (more $ every month).
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing wrong with upgrading, if you wish. Typically comcast will charge about $100 to send a tech out to install a new modem for you. If they provide the modem, it will be about $10 a month equipment lease fee in most areas. You also have the option to buy your own modem, they'll sell you one for $100-150, you can buy your own (I can provide a link, if you'd like) for about $70. You can install it yourself as well, it is a simple matter of plugging it in to the cable line and your computer/router. I can give you those steps, if you'd like to do it yourself, or I can provide a number to order/schedule with comcast. Best regards,Nathan