Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

I bought a new computer and upgraded from Windows XP to Windows

Customer Question

I bought a new computer and upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. Now my media player won't play songs and I can't make a mixed CD because of copyright issues. All my music was purchased legally. A window pops up saying I need to register with Rhapsody and some of my music was purchased through a Napster membership years ago, but apparently I can't register in Canada. Help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to helping you with your issue today. Have you tried a different media player?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Not sure which to try and don't want to buy one if I don't have to.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I too have had similar problems with Media Player. I would recommend VLC Media Player. It is free and will play many files Media Player has problems with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Let me know if you need further assistance and I would be happy to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much. I'll go do that now.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem. When you install VLC, make sure you check it out thoroughly. It is a pretty powerful media player.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VLC telling me that it could not "demux ASF stream" in the error messages and DRM protected stream are not supported. It also tells me it can't read the wma files that most of my music is saved to.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Have you by chance made copies or duplicated your media files from when you originally purchased them? Mixing them as you originally stated would be prohibited since the files would then be considered copies. Let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have all the original CDs except for the songs I would have purchased through Napster that I now can't play. When I bought a new computer I got the songs transferred over in a file which I thought would avoid me having to rip all the CDs again to the new computer. Maybe I'll just do that.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The transfer is what most likely triggered the DRM. Check this LINK to see if this might be of any help? You can also remove DRM by recording the original file through VLC. I am not sure if that can be done in a cluster or if you would need to do each individually?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that link you suggested. A lot of my CDs are greatest hits from the 80s so they are probably old. If I have to end up reloading all those CDs again so be it I guess. I think I'll use the VLC it seems fairly easy to follow. Sometime I wish things wouldn't have updates and just stay the way they were when I bought them. Can be annoying figuring out all the new ways things work. I suppose I should get an MP3 player because I won't be putting things in that wma format again. I don't own an "i" anything. Just want to keep it simple.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Believe me I understand your thoughts regarding the updates. Unfortunately without them we wouldn't have the technology we have today, but it would be nice if it would slow down a little!