Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician
62741268

How does your service work?

Customer Question

how does your service work?
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already gone back to a restore point once while in safe mode. That made the problem worse.
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
I can help you troubleshoot this and with the instructions to boot from disc.
Follow these steps please>
Disconnect the power cord on the computer, then hold the power button down for 60 seconds. Then reconnect the power cord and press the power button, then immediately and repeatedly press the F2 key on your keyboard. This will bring the advanced boot menu. Choose the cd disc drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did that which brought me to the only two selections of check memory or start win 7
can't get to any other menus
okay, repeat the process and use the F8 key please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that again. It worked last night to be able to restore back 2 weeks ago. It did not have a selection for start from disk. That restore point using the steps you just said did not fix it.
okay, you can also continually tap the space bar when you first power on until you get the Windows boot manager screen then press the F8 key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right now the selections are fix computer, safe mode, start normal, debugging, nothing for starting from disk. I have selected different options to no avail. fix 'restore' not working
okay, try this next. Power completely down, then power on and press the F9 key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says all data in this partition will be lost
yes, that option reloads the operating system and completely wipes out the old data and os. Unfortunately, if the drive is corrupted that is the only option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all program files, windows, etc why would i want to do this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there has to be another way
If you are having problems with your computer then that would be the only reason. You can do a back up of your files and then do the restore also.
Do you have an external drive that you can back up your data on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can i do a backup of my files
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this has been no help whatsoever. if i an't keep my autocad program which is 4k this computer is a boat anchor
use an external USB 3.0/eSATA/FireWire/Thunderbolt drive and back up your data, you can get those at walmart, bestbuy, etc...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a wdmycloud connected to this computer
okay, great. If you have the pc backed up to the wdmycloud you will not lose anything. Complete the restore then you can restore the back up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i just bought it, i put stuff from this computer not the asus. i canget the windows screen to restore again but don't know the password ***** log on as a local user
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can i get to bios
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when it starts to bootup it asks if i want to setup what is that
at the initial boot you should see the white writing at the bottom that says press F2 to enter bios.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am in bios set up utility what do i need to do
Enter BIOS, set “SUPERVISOR PASSWORD” or “USER PASSWORD”, and then open BIOS FEATURES SETUP, set “Security Option” as “Setup”. Save these changes and exit. Now, if you start Dell computer and press Del or F2 entering BIOS setting screen, it will ask you to type password, which is BIOS password. But you don’t need to sign into Windows system with password.
Method 2:
Set “SUPERVISOR PASSWORD” or “USER PASSWORD”, but set “Security Option” as “System”. Save and exit. If you do so, you have to type password ***** you enter both BIOS and Windows OS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont see password ***** up tweaker. main. advanced. power. boot. tools
okay, it should be in advanced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cpu config, chipset, onboard, usb, pcipnp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and irog
okay, try this. disconnect the power cord, then open up your computer casing and look for the battery( most computers use a coin cell CMOS battery, like the CR2032 ). Remove the battery for approximately 5 minutes and slot it back. By removing the battery it deprives the motherboard’s flash memory of power supply, you are essentially resetting the settings back to default when the existing data in BIOS are cleared.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a little bit beyond me i'll have to look up what these things are supposed to look like
the cr2032 is a watch battery.
Here are some instructions with images> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont see it i have a big fan right on top, it maybe under that. can i email you a pic?
okay, it is on the motherboard. Here is a pic>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a gigantic graphic card with camoflage on it
okay, that sounds like the ASUS ENGTX260/HTDP/896M GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-Bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card>
the motherboard should look like this one and the cmos battery is in the bottom right corner of the image>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is standing on end i try to remove
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a bit wad of wire was covering
okay,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it out
okay, good. Leave it out for about 5 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is cpu intel core I7 920 cg5290
That is a very good computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at the time the best buy guy said it was the most powerful in the store, the male in me made me buy it. putting in the battery now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i let it start windows or try to restore
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is asking to set up or load default
What was your initial problems with it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a week after adding wdmycloud, which not fun by the way many hurdles to install. power went out apc failed, had to get 2 new batteries for apc . i think it was trying to update when failure happened. internet explorer not working properly, changed display didn't like that. muliple reboots restored to 2 days after wd install. black screens with cursor only. now don't care about wd and will restore if allowed to any date to fix
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had many problems with this asus when first bought. I (not the geeks at bb) finally discovered hibernation was causing blue screens 3 times a day. not fun
okay, the best option will be a complete restore. If you have any data that you want to keep, get that backed up then do a restore. That will return the computer to the way it was when you first bought it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't restore my programs, don't have disk
which programs do you have that you need back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found another asus disk how do I get it to see it again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last disk wanted to reformat the partition but this one says support
Try the recovery on this link>https://neosmart.net/wiki/asus-recovery-disk/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
autocad
okay, do you use the student version?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
do you know the registration number or did you have an email address connected to the registration?
tion Folder or the links below for your product version:2016 Products2015 Products2014 Products2013 Products2012 Products2011 Products2010 ProductsNote: Please ensure you are using the correct product key for the Autodesk product and version you are installing. Entering an incorrect product key will result in activation errors for that product.Return to TopSee Also:Preparing your System before Installing Autodesk SoftwareInstalling and Configuring your Autodesk SoftwareActivating and Registering your Autodesk Software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is pirated. it is asking for a password ***** system recovery options
okay, I can get you a link for the keygen.
hhttps://thepiratebay.mn/torrent/4925758/Autodesk_AutoCAD_2010-_Keygens_only_(X-FORCE_32_64bits)_[RH
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all of my autocad drawings and pictures of all my projects for the last 4 years is on that computer
okay, you will definitely want to get those backed up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no kidding, i was going to this week on the cloud
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i get into the bios and fix something?
if the wdmycloud is not working properly, I would get a standard 1 tb external hardrive. The seagate works great and will do a backup and restore automatically.
It does not sound like that will help. This sounds like the hard drive was corrupted by the wdmycloud.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cloud is working but how can i get into the computer to save to it? you are probably right it is the culprit. can i get into the other asus disk and boot from there?
did you try booting to safe mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i am at the password ***** for recovery/dont know password. it several users aspnet, homegroupuser$, updatauser, teena, qbdatauser. I would not have put in a password ***** ***** a default password *****?
no, there are not any default passwords. Did you follow these steps to get safe mode>Immediately after the computer is powered on or restarted (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key in 1 second intervals. After your computer displays hardware information and runs a memory test, the Advanced Boot Options menu will appear. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that when it asks for the password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got it to see the other cd and it says welcom to asus motherboard make disk for dos menu, what is this, can it help?
To reset password ***** Windows 7 from safe mode, restart PC. Press F8 to enter Windows Boot Menu and then chooseSafe Mode with Command Prompt.Then enter the following:net user root /ADDThen enter the following:net localgroup administrators root /ADDThen finally, enter the following:net localgroup users root /DELETEIf the above can't help you, but you have other administrative accounts, they will be helpful. Or, you may have to refer to pro tool like Ophcrack or othe Windows Password ***** Tool. :http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Password-Recovery-Tool/3000-2092_4-10964595.html
no, that will not help. It is the motherboard disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it won't go into safe mode anymore, with or without command prompt. it will go into fix my computer which is the restore but want the password
Okay, th it s sound like it is getting worse. If it goes any further you may lose everything. I thingkyour best option will be to remove the hard drive and carry it to bestbuy or computer repair and get it backed up /copied
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
remove the whole drive and they will copy it to another drive and then the new one will boot up?
No, they will copy the hard drive and then you can format it or do a full restore.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will autocad work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't do anything in the bios to fix things?
No. Unfortunately there is nothing short of reloading the operating system.