Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

A couple of months ago google contacted me to say that I needed

Customer Question

A couple of months ago google contacted me to say that I needed to change my password (don't remember now why ... I think something about suspicious activity). So I did, using the password ***** suggested which, of course, is a long, complicated, impossible-to-remember password. Since then, I've been sent fairly frequent messages saying that my google password ***** ***** I never remember needing to do this in the past and since I don't remember this new password, it's a hassle to keep entering it, especially when I'm asked for it a mere day or two after I just entered it. (Seems like entering it should "buy me" more than a day or two!) What's going on??
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
what is sending you the messages that you need to enter it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get a little window in the upper right of my desktop with an icon of a "gear" on the left with "Close" and "Continue" tabs on the right. In between it says "Google Password ***** Enter your password ***** "traceried" in Internet Accounts." When I click on "Continue" it gives me the place to enter it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I don't know what is sending me these messages.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me the exact word for word spelling of the message that you get please I may be offline for a bit as I am going to lunch. But I will be back to help you if I can look that up. I can also get you my phone number and even remote in to look at it and fix it for you If you would be willing to pay an additional charge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I included the word-for-wrod above.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
try the suggestions on this page.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6990704?start=0&tstart=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem isn't that I'm not able to open the window to enter my password, it's that I keep getting asked to enter the password ***** the first place. Why? Is this normal? Is this actually google who is requesting this?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
are you using a desktop email program that has the gmail account in it ?
You may need to either remove and re add the gmail account or change the password ***** that.
what it sounds like to me is the email program tries to download email every once in a while and it still has the old password ***** in. So it tries that and it doesn't work so it pops up a box asking for the right password. For some reason it is not saving that password. there might be a check box to save it on the pop up that you haven't checked. Or it may just be an oversight in the design or a bug. either way putting it directly into the email program should fix it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll try that. Of course, it will likely be a few weeks before I know whether or not it worked since I usually get a couple of back-to-back requests for the password ***** then I'm good for a few weeks, at which point I'm asked again!
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
that's kind of strange. its hard to debug without knowing for sure what is putting up the message. If you don't use the account very often it may just log itself off.
it might even be some sort of virus or scam though those don't usually work that well on the mac.
I would change the google password ***** and do not use their suggested password ***** don't use a link from any email
just log into the google account and hit the settings gear on the top right
select settings
click on the accounts and import tab
click the blue link that says password
create your own password ***** at least 8 characters and at least one cap or number or both.
you might also try a virus scan just to be sure. this page has some reviews of anti virus for mac a few of them are free.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406379,00.asp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll do all that ... once I'm back home tonight (on my way out the door).
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know please
and if you are happy with my assistance I hope that you will give me an excellent rating as that is the only way that I receive credit from the site for my work
I will keep the question open and the problem recurs just post in again and I will continue to help for no extra charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed my password ***** one of my own choosing and everything was fine until a couple days ago when I got the prompt to enter my password ***** which is why I contacted you to begin with. I entered it and was prompted to do it again a day or two later so the problem hasn't been solved yet.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
are you using chrome ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Safari.