Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Networks & Security Engineer
76221641

I bought my Acer keyboard in Germany. It has a German layout

Customer Question

I bought my Acer keyboard in Germany. It has a German layout but acts as an English keyboard. I often need to write in German but do not have the additional German characters like the Umlauts and the special s. What can I do to change it so that it types the characters a indicated on the keys? Thank you.
Please reply to***@******.***
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today, You can type German letters not found in English using these options : Ä (hold down the Alt key and type 0196)ä (Alt 0228)Ö (Alt 0214)ö (Alt 0246)Ü (Alt 0220)ü (Alt 0252)ß (Alt 0223) Or you can use a virtual keyboard, for example you can use this one : http://german.typeit.org/ Hope this help, Thank you
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
Only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer as poor/bad service, if you are not satisfied, but please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert) rather than giving me a negative rating.best regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Typing in Ascci keys for every Umlaut is simply too tedious. Therefore I wanted to type in http://german.typeit.org/ but I am unable to find the colon on that keyboard. As I indicated, the keys show German characters but it acts as an English keyboard, that is except for special characters. Those I have to find by trial and error. The colon must be somewhere but I typed out all special characters there are and could not find it. As this is clearly a German keyboard surely there must be a way how to set it to type the characters shown on the keys. Please help. Thanks.

Eleonore

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
ok can you try adding the keyboard from control panel, first click on start > Control panel > under Clock, Language and Region click change keyboard or other input methods Now click change keyboards, click on add, scroll down until you find German (Germany) check german and click ok. Restart your computer and see if you can type in germany language let me know the resutls Thank you
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
Has everything worked out, do you still need help please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trying so hard to find a solution for this wretched keyboard. Of course if I had a START key and the option "Region and Language" I should never have had this problem. On my computer I attached shortcut keys to the languages I use regularly, Ctrl+Shift+1 for English, Ctrl+Shift+2 for German, Ctrl+Shift+3 for French and for the benefit of my Syrian friend even Ctrl+Shift+4 for Arabic. With this I shift happily between languages. Unfortunately my tablet does not have those options or I should not have bothered you. I guess I shall take it back to the shop where I bought it and ask them to sort out the problem.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, I'm sorry but I thought you are using a computer with windows 7, but I think with the help of these short keys you have solved the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using those short keys on my laptop computer. The tablet does not have these options.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
what is the model of your tablet please ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tablet Model:A1-810

see keyboard image below.

Keyboard Model: all Chinese characters except UA0B, BT wireless keyboard. see image below

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
Please tap the Input options key, then select either Input languages or Android keyboard settings. select your language (germany) and tap save let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much. I have to do something urgent now but shall definitely try out your latest suggestion and let you know. It would be wonderful if it did work. Thanks.

Eleonore

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
okay, hope it works

you are very welcome
regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

DearCustomer

against many thanks for all your endeavors to help me out with my wretched external keyboard. Yesterday, one of my students found the answer. This is so obvious that you probably never thought of mentioning it. On the Tablet, in Settings, 'Language and Input'/ 'Keyboard and Input Methods', the Default was set to English UK instead of German. We changed that and rebooted. Now the Keyboard was set to German. I had worried too much about the keyboard, instead of even considering to check the settings of the Tablet.

Kind regards, Eleonore

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.
Hello Eleonore, I am pleased to know that the problem IS solved. JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied. Thank you