Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Myideatab, refurbished, finds my LAN (Cisco cable router, wireless)

Customer Question

Myideatab, refurbished, finds my LAN (Cisco cable router, wireless) , lets me log on to it but when I try to get to internet - or register the device - I get a message that I need an internet connection to continue. Selecting a browser gets a "page not found" message. Any suggestoins?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Christopher Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** read your question and I think I can help you. Need to know the OS & browser first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Android OS "Registration" never asked for a browser, and I haven't seen one to choose. Something related to Google perhaps? The browser logo looks like Safari, tho I haven't seen that name.
Thinking.. Standby..
I may have a relatively easy fix for you. Try this program on your ideapad. You may have to install it on the PC you are using now and transfer it to the ideapad with a usb stick.Here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wahtod.wififixerLet me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This machine is a Linux/Ubuntu computer. Trying to download went into limbo - didn't show up in "Downloads" Switched to a MacAir and got no further. Did not get a message on either machine saying the download was refused.
Sorry to hear that. I know it will download to windows. let me see if I can download the tool and then send it to you.. Standby
Just curious. Can you access any mail accounts on the ideapad?
This might be a long shot but can you access Google Play on the Tablet? If so, do a search for WIFI Fixer there and download it directly to the ideapad. If not, there is another way. I'll prepare the instructions when I hear back from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Tried using the Google PlayStore app on the tablet. Had to create a Google account. Just got a message that Google was not available. Tried to set up an account for playstore on the Mac - can't see where to do it. I am thinking maybe I should find a consultant - or a teen ager - who understands the program better than I. Any thoughts?
Try this first before hiring a teenagerChange WiFi SettingNavigate to Settings > Wifi >Select Modify Network optionsEnter passwordCheck Show Advance optionsScroll down to view advanced options which should be available now.Change IP Settings from DHCP to StaticIP Address : Most probably your Gateway address will be 192.168.1.1. Change your IP Address by changing the last digit in this address. Use any value between 2 to 20.Change DNS1 to 8.8.8.8Change DNS2 to 8.8.4.4Save these settings.Login into your wifi network if required, you device should be able to connect to internet by now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got stuck. Wifi is "on" I don't see "modify network options" anywhere. Where should I look?
I put a picture of the screen on here: http://wikisend.com/download/312710/modify nw.pngIf that isn't what you have, I'm at a loss. I'll opt out to another expert if you wish. That way, you won't have to rate my answer or pay for it.
You may have to press and hold the Wifi Network to see Modify Network Option come up
Meaning press and hold the network name you are connected to