Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

Going crazy since yesterday I can't get into my Yahoo

Customer Question

Hello - going crazy since yesterday I can't get into my Yahoo mail. I always use the same button every day, press mail and it appears. Now, I get Yahoo with a different cover page, asking for my ID and password. Okay. I put that info in and it says incorrect ID or password. So I go to help and it shows me the jumbled letters for a new code. It says incorrect so I get new "puzzle" and it doesn't like those. I did this a kajillion times. I did get one page with information to have a new password ***** to 9**, etc. which is a cell phone that I cannot use here at my home because I have no cell reception here. I rarely use the cell phone, but there is no place to give my home land phone number. Has someone been able to hack my account and "fixed" it so I can't check my email?
Thank you, Veronica
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Veronica, and thank you for your question, I look forward to helping you with your issue today. Have you installed any new software or updates recently? Also, have you clicked on any links you were unfamiliar with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably, but I don't remember anything in particular. I'm not very computer literate although I've had one for years. I use my PC for email, shopping, banking, Google for research and Facebook. It seems I'm always updating or doing shopping online. If I open new sites and McAfee suggests I don't open it, I don't. Sunday I got a flash on my yahoo email that I might have a virus. Later on my Cableone.net email, my screen turned blue and advised me to turn off my computer and restart it - which I couldn't do. I took it to Office Max & they said they ran a Malware ? sp scan and didn't find any virus.
If you would rather talk, do I call you? Or do you call me at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I'm not setup for phone calls, so chatting is just fine. The first thing I would like you to do is to scan again any malware. Do you know how to disable McAfee?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I know. Do I run a scan before I disable McAfee?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No not necessary. Before you do that, download the free version of Malwarebytes but don't install it until you have disabled McAfee.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Also, what internet browser are you using when you try to login to Yahoo?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Still with me?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Since I have not received a response from you I will need to move on to assist other customers. Please respond to me at your convenience and I will return to assist you as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use Internet Explorer to go to Yahoo.I ran the scan and there were 6 items detected All were PUP.Optional. Ask.A
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I enable McAfee now?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
In Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" then delete browsing history. Check all of the boxes and click on delete. Before you do that, copy down your email address and save it on your desktop. After you perform the delete, close the browser, then restart your computer. McAfee will be enabled after the restart.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if we were successful or if I can be of further assistance. Have a nice day!