Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

On the bottom of the print sharing switch only one output side

Customer Question

On the bottom of the print sharing switch only one output side has a green light. Either of my two Macs will print if I plug into the green light side.
Also, I downloaded a 12 page User Manual (Addendum manual for Windows 8). I suppose this is not for MACs. One of my MACS is OS 10.10.3 the other OS 10.6.8
Thank youforany assistance.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
May I know the make and model number of the printer, so that I can assist you further with the issue.
Thank you.
S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer is EPSON xp-820
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Do you get any error message on the printer or computer? How do you connect the printer to the computer? Using USB cable? Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, usb cable
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Please try the following. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) or Printers & Scanners.Hold down the Option (Alt) key on your keyboard while clicking the "-" (minus sign that you see on the left pane of the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) button. Then, choose Reset Printing System. If that does not work, or you are using Mavericks, hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer. If the issue persists, let me know the error message you are getting.If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!Thank you!S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I deleted the 820, but find no "reset printingsystem"
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Have you tried to add it after deleting it by pressing the + sign? Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see one EPSON xp 820 still in the printer & scanner box.
But I'm confused about why we're dealing with the computer when the "splitter switch" if connected to the printer has
only one active output
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Please let me know the exact error message you are getting. Make sure that you have enough ink on all of your cartridges. Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting NO error message. Both computers will print but I must change the USB plug back and forth on the sharing switch. I bought the switch to avoid having to reconnect the printer when I wanted to print from the other computer.
No luck so far
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The issue might be with the USB hub itself. Have you tried changing the USB hub? And ports on the hub? One must be faulty. If the printer works fine with both computers, while connecting the USB cable directly to the computer, the issue is with the hub, and you do not have to anything with the computer of printer. Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say "hub" are you speaking of the print sharing switch I bought?
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes. I meant the print sharing switch. Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the assistance. Seems pretty sad when I must pay for assistance to learn I bought a lemon.Bob
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The printer is wireless. Right? If both of your computer and the printer support wireless, and you have a wireless router, you can try connecting the printer wireless. Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO That's why I'm talking about connecting it.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, If so, I would suggest you try another switch, or two USB cable. Or change the cable whenever you want it. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Over & Out
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business! If you would like to get a refund, please contact our customer support.Thank you!S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My initial message was very clear about both computers working with the one printer. The difficulty was having to
change the USB connector to only one side of the sharing switch. How we got into the series of questions you asked is
a mystery to me.
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed. I would suggest you contact our customer support to get a refund for the session. Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I reach customer service? Everything I've tried wants another $35
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I reach customer support? Everything I've tried wants another $35
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Please contact customer support from the link below.http://ww2.justanswer.co.uk/en-gb/help Thank you.S H E F I N