Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I just finished building my first pc and upon power up I get

Customer Question

I just finished building my first pc and upon power up I get no video, keyboard or mouse signal. It appears the that the I/O panel is not getting any power. Where should I start to troubleshoot?
Category: Computer
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is***** am sorry to hear that you have this issue, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.Please save this page to favorites( ctrl + d) so that you can use to rejoin session until question gets closed
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
By the way, would you share the motherboard model?
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Also make sure you plugged these cables..1: Motherboard Power Connector2: CPU Power Connector
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
If you made sure, then press power on button and check status of CPU fan. Check if it runs Also check if any LED glows on motherboard...
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
At this point i need your reply...Please update statusThanks,Fiyaz
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Asrock Z97 extreme 4 Motherboard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure where the motherboard connector cable is. I thought that it was the ATX 20+ pin which is plug in. I have an extra 4 pin connector will try to plug this in t see if this Helps!
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Have you confirmed both power connectors are connected correctly1: Motherboard Power Connector2: CPU Power Connector
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
wait
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
I think your Processor Core voltage provider is 8 pin connectorIf so, does SMPS have this 8 pin CPU Power Connector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, 2 x 4 pin. It's plug in correctly. I had no power at all until this was securely plugge in.
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
ok, fine..What about MotherBoard 24 pin connector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the one I was talking about. It came in two pieces. I plugged in the 20 but not the additional four. Plugged in now. Waiting to re- start.
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
ok, Yes, it must be plugged in Plug it and power on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just did, still no keyboard, mouse or video!
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
ok..Is CPU Fan spinning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Turn off Computer, unplug power cord Pull out all RAMs and turn on computer (Without RAM) Check if it produce beep sound
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
(Check computer produces beep sound without RAM)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll let you know when I'm done
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sounds
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
No sound means... Motherboard is not coming up..It can be from processor or motherboard sideSince its a new machine, i would like to know the processor details too, could you please share it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I intstalled the INTEL CORE I5-4690K
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should remove and re-install it also?
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
yes, please reset it
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this processor supports the motherboard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, Done removed, replaced and re-booted. still no sound. Ram is still out! Listen is tit possible the chip in in wrong? I have a gold arrow on one corner that I lined up with the mother board. Should I try switching it around?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shuold I remove the graphics card too? It is a EVGA GTX960 SC 2GB 1X DDHDP
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
No its not possible. Processor fits in one way only Hope it has an inbuilt VGA port, right?
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
If so, you can remove graphics card and connect monitor cable to motherboard VGA port
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Tried connecting the monitor to it also. Not working, I guess it is because the card has not been configured yet.
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
You must remove Graphics card and check
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Is it how you checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Motherboard does not have a VGA. I only see a HDMI port and a connector for the printer. But what bothers me is that along the same panel is the keyboard connection and the mouse and these are not working either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No did not remove the gfx but I will now.
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
ok, please remove it and check for display
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still nothing
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
What you mean when you say " keyboard connection and the mouse and these are not working either"
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
How did you confirm it?(Is it LED light from mouse is not coming..)When you power on PC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the I/O Panel attached to the motherboard. I have the monitor plug into the HDMI port, the keyboard plug into it's connector and the USB moue in a USB port. I should see the keyboard and mouse light up when the computer is booted as well as the monitor. None these are occurring and the ram is still out and there is no no beeps. I have n sound!
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Hope RAM and Graphics card is outPlease connect RAM (If two connect only 1 RAM) and turn on PC. Check for display
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 RAM installed. Nothing!
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
ok, At this point i should say there is some issue on motherboard / processor side .. This should be checked from vendor side. Since i have no more ideas, i shall opt out to see if my colleagues has some other optionsThanks,Fiyaz
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You for your help! Enjoy the rest of your day!
Expert:  SladeV replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** will help you too the best of my ability. From what I have read most of the steps, you have took leads me too believe that it's the CPU at fault. If it was not installed correctly, it can bend the pins that run under it or on the board and thus, ruin either of them. You can try and see if there are any that are bent or broken off. Did you also, apply the heat paste between the heat sink and CPU? It seems that prior your build was getting a lack of power and thus could of been one of the problems. I recommend that you least have a min of 550 Watt Power. I will try and look at your boards manual too see if there is anything, relating too, what needs too be done if this should happen later. From what you said that it does not have on board video? Is it possible for you too attach it HDMI? Some times, when you attach a video card it will change it in the BIOS so that it displays too the card however, you may need too set this separate. It is also, possible that the card was put in the wrong slot and not compatible with the board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the video card. I also double checked the install of the CPU it is seated correctly. There is glue between the CPUand the heat sink, no problems there. My power supply is a EVGA bronze 600b. I must admit the wiring coming from the power supply is a bit confusing for me but I believe I attached all necessary wiring. I am wondering, however, if there is some connection n the motherboard that needs attachment to enable the I/O panel that I overlooked.I remove the graphics card and reset the system. I am unable to adjust the BIOS since I can't see it. My morther board is a Asrock z97 extreme 4 and the graphics card is a EVGA GTX960 SC 2GB 1X DDHDP.
Expert:  SladeV replied 1 year ago.
Can you give the full make and model of the motherboard?