Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Okay, so I've been really lucky and my 7 year old L355 has

Customer Question

Okay, so I've been really lucky and my 7 year old L355 has lasted this long without a major problem, but I suddenly had some startup problem and backed up all my stuff and ran the recovery software for the first time. It asked me on several occasions to restart, but then just continues to do more recovery when I did. I decided to just stop touching it (always my GOTO plan with computers) when it asked me to restart and it restarts itself and installs something new. Is keeping my hands off of it when it does this the right thing?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.
First off, please take out the recovery disk from your laptop, and then do the following:
Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.
Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on top of the keyboard and at the same time, press the power button once to switch on your notebook (while still holding down the key.)
When the Toshiba screen appears, release the 0 key.
If prompted, select 32bit or 64bit operating system, and click Next.
Does a Toshiba recovery screen come up this time?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. I am way past that. The disks are out and the computer has just restarted itself again. And now again.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Okay. The next time it restarts, please press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard until the Toshiba screen shows up at bootup, and then release the key. What shows up next?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's in the middle of something now. Also, the stuff on the screen is only occupying about 1/3 of the screen. It may never be right again. :(

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
No issues; please press and hold down the Power button for atleast 10 seconds now - this will switch off the laptop completely. Done that, hold down the 0 key and press the Power button one more time to restart the laptop. Keep holding the 0 key until the Toshiba screen comes up.
What shows up this time, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It asks if I want to start windows normally

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, so the recovery screen did not show up. Could you try repeating the process just one more time - power off and restart the laptop while making sure to hold down the 0 key the entire time - and check if the recovery screen shows up this time?
If it does not show up, please insert the recovery disk into your laptop and then restart one more time. When the main Toshiba screen shows up at bootup, start tapping F12 repeatedly on your keyboard. Does this bring up a boot screen?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't think you understand what I'm seeing. I am going to restart the entire process and just not reboot this time when it tells me. If I have further problems, I'll have to take it into my IT guys. It seems we're talking about different problems.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
No issues, let me open up your question to our other experts now, who will be able to assist you further with this issue. Thank you.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro.

If you still require assistance with this issue, please let me know what exactly you see when you start your Toshiba computer. Does it boot to Windows or an error message appears?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've solved my own problem. The restart issue that I told the last guy about had nothing to do with the hardware. Toshiba says that you should ignore those restart requests and leave the machine alone. Still wonder why they put it there then. Seems stupid.