Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

When I try to save a word document, I get the message saying

Customer Question

When I try to save a word document, I get the message saying Microsoft word isn't your default program for viewing and editing documents. Do you want to select the file types that word should open?
When I try to open a pdf attachment sent to me, I get the message that says "Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported."
I believe these two problems are related but don't have a clue how to fix it. Can you help?
I'm working in Windos 8.0 (or 8.1) not sure.
Thanks,
Trudy
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Please download one of the files doing this but do not open it, instead save it to your desktop.
Now on your desktop right click on it and hover over open with.
Near the bottom should be an option that says choose default click on that.
In the window that opens choose word, and make sure the always use this program box is check.
Next click on ok and it should not longer be associated with paint.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.