Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I asked this question before and thought I had a solution,

Customer Question

I asked this question before and thought I had a solution, but alas my problem still exists. This time I would like for Robert M to address the question: For some reason, when I change or remove portable media (CD's or Flash Drives) from my computer, the
change is not reflected in Windows Explorer. Usually 'ejecting' what was in the CD Drive or Flash Drive will make Explorer notice the change but not always. This happens on my computer running Windows 7 and also two laptops running Windows 8.1. It is driving
me crazy. ROBERT M, if you see this question, please respond. I HATE the fact that Microsoft almost forces you to install new versions of Windows using a Microsoft ID (which, of course, for me doesn't make sense, since I set up computers for my entire family,
including those not living here with me). I finally got the hang of setting up Windows using a local account, but IMHO, Microsoft went over the edge when it set as default twisting arms to start Windows under a single Microsoft account, since 'syncing' changes
all the computers set up under a single Microsoft ID. Without a shred of evidence, I suspect that the Windows Explorer bug/anomaly is related to having multiple computers set up under a single Microsoft User ID.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. I am going to look into the cd thing for you. It may be a windows bug or it may be a service that isnt running on the computer. It should change when you change the cd but it might wait till you try to access it. I honestly never really looked. I agree with you on the ms mafia tactics for the windows ID. However a lot of people will like that feature, so i dont see them changing it. As with most things they didn't invent it. Google and android were the ones that really got it going so you can switch phones and it will pop up with all your old stuff. Microsoft is still trying to keep up and get people onto their windows 8 for phones, tablets and computers. If they do it in a heavy handed manner, thats the way they do everything. It is actually something the industry has been looking at for some time. Even 15 years ago a lot of large corporations were putting any individual stuff on a server folder rather than the pc so that when an employees computer broke they could just plug in a new generic computer and have him up and running 5 minutes later. Probably a better option than the local ID is to use different ID's for different computers that you dont want sharing stuff. It makes a lot of things harder if you dont use their ms id. I dont think the two issues are related because the sharing does not include the installed hardware of each device. It just wouldnt work no two devices are exactly the same. But give me a day to look into it please. I am on my old trusty XP today and i have to get to my windows 8 laptop at home to see what that does. thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I await your observation and response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might add that the problem never surfaced on THIS computer until I set up another desktop and two laptops with a single Microsoft ID. Now the 'removed media doesn't disappear' bug appears on all of them, including this one. I want to see empty 'drives,' but not the content that USED to be in them. As soon as I remove the media from a PNP USB drive or a hard drive shouldn't it's contents disappear?I also don't care if the entire drive designation goes away when I remove a USB flash drive. IMHO, that's as it should be: The computer's drive status displayed as it CURRENTLY IS... Not what it used to be.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
make sure that the plug and play service and the browser service are running and set to automaticyou can see them if you hold the windows logo key and press Rthen typeservices.mscin the run box and hit enter. thats just a guess but they would both have something to do with what shows up in the my computer folder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got a date with my daughter so I have to go right now... Belated Father's Day outing. I'll work on this when I get back.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
here is another possible solutionthis assumes that if you hit F5 in the my computer window it will change to the correct accounting of what is in the drives or plugged in usb.( which might be enough for you its pretty simple to hit the f5 button which refreshes the window)otherwise you can set auto refresh on in the registryPLEASE CREATE A RESTORE POINT BEFORE DOING ANY WORK IN THE REGISTRYbut this is a pretty simple change hit the windows logo key and typeregedit in the run box and hit enter Right click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click FindType dontrefresh in the search box and then hit enterit should find the DontRefresh key,right click itselect Modify ,set it to 0 get out of the regedit programreboot your computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From Services.msc:
1) PlugandPlay Service is automatically started
2) There is no generic 'browser' service. Internet Explorer has two entries: "Internet Connection Sharing," which is disabled and "Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service" which is started Manually (currently not Started).
3) Pressing F5 to update display in Windows Explorer has no effect (does not update the page)I'll try the registry 'fix' and be right back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I searched the entire registry, including HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and found no reference to a key named "dontrefresh"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or any value with that name.