arsufi2002
arsufi2002, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCSE, RHCE, IBM System X Server Certified
50085326

My second hard drive failed in the last couple days. This is

Customer Question

My second hard drive failed in the last couple days. This is the drive I have set as the output for Windows Media Center TV recordings. I can still watch OTA TV on my WMC; however, when I go to settings to try and change the drive for recordings it will
not do anything. In fact, it hangs up the system to the point I have to power off with the power button. Do you have a solution to get my WMC to record to a different hard drive? Thanks!
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
second internal hard drive; my c (main drive) still works of course, and I have external hard drives.
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer.My name is***** am sorry to hear that you have this issue, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible. By the way, have you disconnected the failed drive from computer?
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
If not, please disconnect drive then open up WMC and change the locationNote: You must turn off computer and unplug computer from power before removing HDD
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
If you have already removed HDD, then lets do a registry tweak..Here's the way..1: Reboot ComputerNote: Do not open Windows Media Center2: Open RegistryClick Start > run/search > type regedit press enter keyNow move to this registry locationHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\RecordingThere you can see a key named Record Path and path that currently have.You may double click and change path accordingly Now close registry editor and open Windows Media CenterThe record path will be new one
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Please update me the statusIf above suggestion helps to solve issue, please rate my answer .. If issue still exists please reply, you don't have to rate me on that case. Regards,Fiyaz
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for detailed instructions. I was hoping I could just uninstall/reinstall WMC? I do not know how to remove the HDD. Do I need to remove or just somehow disconnect the drive from the power supply or remove a cable from the drive, etcetera. Is their a graphic illustration for the Dell Studio XPS 450/900 that would show me how? Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I just change the drive letters?
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply..It seems you haven't removed failed HDD from computer. Yes, you may just disconnect Sata Power Cable from failed HDD.There are two cables that runs to HDD.1: Power cable that runs from SMPS2: Sata cable that runs to motherboardYou may disconnect both if possible. Once done, you may follow normal procedure to change recording location through Windows Media Centre If it doesn't work, then you may perform registry tweakPlease reply if you have queryThanks,Fiyaz
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the above was not necessary. I just needed to go into disk management and change drive letters for WMC to work again. Why did you not recommend this simpler solution?
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply You mentioned that PC get hang while you go for changing drive location on Windows Media Center. That made me think that if you open Disk Management PC get hung since it has to go for checking the connected devices on computer on that time. More over its only on Windows side you are disconnecting but failed HDD is always online on hardware/motherboard side which in later can effect PC from booting smoothly. That's why i opted out that option. I want you to do give a better suggestion rather than a temporary one. Hope you understand my concern. Regards, :)Fiyaz
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if solution is just temporary will get back to you. Works fine now; did not hang up after changed drive letter. Local tech gave same advice as you, so must have some merit, but not necessary, at least at the moment.
Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your update.. Would you mind rating at this situation.If you think i must be right, please rate my answer by clicking stars. You can still contact me afterwards If you don't want to rate me or not satisfied please let me know..Regards,Fiyaz