Josh, Support Specialist
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

When Dropbox is running on my machine, my machine slows down

Customer Question

When Dropbox is running on my machine, my machine slows down to a crawl. Every command takes an eternity to run. I have to task manager and stop the Dropbox process which takes multiple attempts. As soon as I do, my computer returns to normal speed.
I need to have Dropbox running correctly. Right now, I can only get to my Dropbox now via the internet and not as a virtual drive. This makes Dropbox useless.
What is causing Dropbox to have a conflict in my computer and how do I fix it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Hi! What make/model computer do you have? Also, do you have XP, Vista, 7, or 8?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dell Laptop - Lattitude E5520

Windows 7 Professional

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Is Dropbox the only program to cause issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I can have lots of programs running without an issue. It only happens when Dropbox is running and when I end Dropbox, all is restored to normal speed.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Did Dropbox ever work without any issues on this computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I have used Dropbox for a while, but only a problem the last several weeks.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
The easiest way to determine if the issue is software related on your computer is to perform a restore back to a date before the issue occurred. Since the issue is a couple weeks ago, let's try a date before that and see if it corrects the issue...Open System Restore by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore.On the page with the list of restore points, you may need to select show more restore points (it is a checkbox) to see dates that are further back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

System Restore is not an option.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
System restore does not remove any personal files; it is completely different than a factory restore which wipes the computer clean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But it will screw up my internet and printer settings. I just went through 2 hours fixing my wireless printer. I cannot use Restore.

It says my only two restore points is today and 6/18/15. I have had the issue before June 18th.

Have you ever solved an issue regarding Dropbox?

Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
I have worked on Dropbox issues. Dropbox is a known CPU hog and known to slow down computers. Does it only slow down your computer when syncing or does it happen at idle?