Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I just got a Lenovo T430 (had an R61) laptop. I cannot get

Customer Question

I just got a Lenovo T430 (had an R61) laptop. I cannot get the Bluetooth to connect. Bluetooth shows in the Control panel, I did an F5 and made sure the Bluetooth radio is on, I redownloaded the Bluetooth drivers. Still, my laptop won't discover any bluetooth devices. Can't think of anything else to do as everything seems right...but no results. Help! Thanks so much.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
lets check and see if windows bluetooth service is turned on. ( even if your wifi switch is on, and t he Fn F5 is saying the bluetooth radio is on, the microsoft service for bluetooth could be off )
To check,
1. Press Windows Key + R, type services.msc , and hit Enter.
2. Right click on the service named- Bluetooth Support Service
3. Check if it is started, if not click on Start. Also right click the Bluetooth support service, and change its startup type to automatic.
Was the service started already, or did you have to start it?
If you had to start it , check to see if you can pair with , or even see any devices now.
I look forward to y our response so I can assist you further.
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll give it a try. Give me one minute.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Take your time, I've still got around 7 more hours on shift today. And remember, if you run into any issues completing the steps send a reply and I'll assist where I can.
Dustin S.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dustin, The Windows Bluetooth service was Started and all were in automatic mode. Tried pairing again and no luck. The pairing doesn't seem to see any bluetooth devices. I know the mouse works because I got out my old laptop and made sure it paired with that and it did. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ive got a few more suggestions, and some needed steps we can try.. Sometimes the lenovos built in software over-rides windows 8's bluetooth pairing software. With that in mind, when you said you downloaded the bluetooth drivers.. is this what you downloaded specifically? http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t430/downloads/DS032149
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have Windows 7. Not sure if the above is correct?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
For good measure, go ahead and download the bluetooth software package from the link I sent you. http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t430/downloads/DS032149 Make sure to open the file, and install the software Here is the complete install process. Downloading file1. Select the underlined file name. Once this is done, some pop-up windows will appear.2. Follow the instructions on the screen.3. In the window to choose Run or Save, select Save.4. Choose the folder you would like to download the file to, and select Save. A different window will appear and the download will begin and complete. Once the download has completed, there may or may not be a message stating that the download completed successfully. Extracting file5. Make sure to be logged on with an administrator account.6. Locate the folder where the file was downloaded.7. Locate the file that was downloaded and double-click/double-tap it.8. Follow the instructions on the screen.9. In the Select Destination Location window, select Next. If you would like to select a different folder, select Browse.10. In the Ready to Install window, select Install. All the necessary files will be extracted to the folder selected in the step 9. Installing files11. Make sure the checkbox next to "Install ..... now" is checked and select Finish.12. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete installation and restart the computer. Finally delete the file saved in the step 4 If you run into any issues installing the package, let me know. Once its installed, restart your computer. Then, press windows S and search for ThinkPad Bluetooth , if it shows the program installed, click it and launch it. Let me know if you can see any devices, or pair now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did the install. Can't make Windows Key and "S" work?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
You have to drop out of the new windows metro screen ( with all the apps that resembles a smartphone screen) Press the windows key once, or click desktop to go to the desktop screen. Then on the desktop screen, press and hold the windows key ( 2 keys to the left of the spacebar ) and then press the letter S , then type in the search box at the top right ( or swipe in from the right outside edge of your trackpad and then click search Is think pad bluetooth showing up either way?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not having any luck with any of the above? Not sure what else to try? Swiping from top right doesn't work. Pressing windows gets me the menu, but then the Windows and "S" just puts the "S" in the search box. Is there another way?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
When you say it puts the s in the search box.. Is that the search everywhere box? If so, type in Thinkpad bluetooth or lenovo bluetooth or even just bluetooth and look for an app mentioning lenovo.. If you cant see anything that way, go to your control panel, uninstall a program and check if the program is showing in your installed programs list. D.S
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the trouble. When I type "bluetooth" I get something called a "Bluetooth Exchange Folder" which is empty. There is a Bluetooth logo. You click on that and nothing happens. Then, there are several icons under the header of "Control Panel" which are the same as clicking on the little bluetooth logo on the bottom right of the screen. "Add a bluetooth device", "Change Bluetooth Settings", etc.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Assuming that add or device or change blue tooth settings arent showing any available devices when triggered from that menu ? Also, this could be a compatibility issue between the mouse and the bluetooth adapter in your brand new lenovo. The Lenovo is running a bluetooth 4.2 adapter and protocol.. Released december 2014.. If your mouse is older then december 2014, and if its Much older then december 14' , then this is almost surely a compatibility issue. ( or, the internal bluetooth module is just borked ) An older 3.0 adapter may be in order, such as this one. http://amzn.to/1fypbpC With that being said, we could keep attacking this issue as follows.. Please press the windows key on your keyboard, hold it down, and press R ( the windows key is two keys to the left of your space bar )Onscreen should be a box that says Open / Run . In that box type in,devmgmt.msc and then hit enter... Inside the device manager, are there any unknown devices or warning symbols showing? Also. If you click network adapters and expand it, word for word what adapters do you see listed inside network?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No warning signs or unknowns. Under "Bluetooth" it lists "Microsoft bluetooth enumerator" and Thinkpad Bluetooth 4.0. Under "Network adapters", the two bluetooth items are: "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)#11" and " Bluetooth Device (RFComm Protocol TDI) #11.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wouldn't I know if the bluetooth card had stopped working? Would it give an error?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
can you right click everything you just mentioned that has to do with bluetooth, and make sure they all say disable ( for an option) If they say enable, then they are turned off. So click enable. Also, do you have any bluetooth capable smartphones made in the last year ? If so, try pairing the computer with the phone as follows Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, typeadapter, and then, under Network and Sharing Center, click View network connections.Under Personal Area Network, click the Bluetooth Network Connection icon.On the toolbar, click View Bluetooth network devices.In the Bluetooth Personal Area Network Devices dialog box, under Bluetooth devices, click the device that you want to connect to, and then click Connect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. When I get to "Network Connections" I get several icons. One is my Wireless Network Connection to my local router, which shows on. The Icon next to "Bluetooth Network Connections 11" shows a big red "X" and "Not Connected". Nothing much happens after clicking there that I haven't already seen. The system doesn't find any bluetooth devices (like my mouse) that I even can select.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. Lets try making sure that find devices and content is turned on. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/find-pcs-devices-content-on-network Also, do a check for windows updates.. Install any it finds.. Then do another check and install any it finds..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I can't spend anymore time today.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Understood, as I mentioned previously this may be an issue between the bluetooth card in y our computer being a newer protocol then the mouse you have. The older 3.0 bluetooth module I recommended would absolutely solve the issue
If you wanted to continue working this issue tomorrow or later this week send a reply. And also, if you wanted I could connect to your computer later on and try to resolve the issue in person. That allows me to run through the repair steps a lot more effectively and efficiently.
Dustin S.