Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

You do not clearly say on this page if you are a paid service,

Customer Question

You do not clearly say on this page if you are a paid service, but I bet you are. I will nevertheless give it a try.
My Acer Veriton M241 has worked for years in a funny way. Sometimes it does not start up. I remove the ethernet cable, plug it back in, and it starts up immediately without me hitting the power switch. Strange!
Lately it does not respond to the ethernet cable anymore. I just wait a day, and it starts again the next day. Today it again refused to start after 2 months working perfectly.
It started, but in an oscillating way. Power and all lights went on and off and on and off until I pulled the plug (it's done this a couple of times in the past). I pulled the power cord, kept the switch pressed for 30 seconds, replaced the power cord, hit the switch, but no response. Waited 10 minutes, hit the power switch and it started again.
So it is working again and will probably do so for a few months before the next episode. I know it's an old system, but I would like to have the best information possible as to what the possible causes can be of this behavior.
Any ideas?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. This is a paid site and it tells you that when you insert your billing information it also tells you the price when you do that. I can not seem to find your model anywhere, are there any other numbers or anything like that on it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Freddy,

Sorry, it was the spec for the wrong system. I have a Veriton M264 with the following items:

- 2GB DDR2 RAM

- Intel Celeron 450 at 2.2 GHz

- Hard disk 160GB, Serial ATA, 7200 rpm

- 250W Power supply

Hope this helps.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Thank you, ***** ***** does not come on do you hear the fans spinning or anything like that? How old is it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely nothing. No fan.

It's about 5-6 years old.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
It could be a power issue. This question does not expire so you can take as long as you need to try this. Next time this happens instead of the ethernet cable disconnect the power cable. With it removed hold the power button down for 30 seconds, then plug it back in and test it. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before I posed my question to justanswer.com, I did in fact execute the 30-second button hold procedure when my system did not start up (I read about this in another post). After the 30 seconds were up, I pressed on the power button and absolutely nothing happened - total silence.

So I am willing to try the next diagnostic test you might have in mind.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Did you remove the power cable first? It would not work if you don't do that.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yup. In fact, it struck me as interesting that you had to remove the power cable first - so I was sure to do it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The reason you remove it first is because the machine hold what is called phantom power so turning it off or even removing the power cable is not enough to discharge the current fully. The next thing would be to test a different power cable. Have you tried that yet? Most computers, some monitors, some TV's, some cables boxes and some DVD players all use the same type of power cable. Since it does nothing normally if your monitor uses the same type you could switch it with that jsut to see if it tusn on and the fans spin etc.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, but bear in mind that my system is working now, as I mentioned initially. When I leave it for a while, it finally starts up after that. I am replying to you using the problematic Veriton M264.

Your suggestion to exchange the power cable is interesting (my wife suggested that, and she's a nurse). But I'll have to wait until the system fails again before I try it and contact you again.

So there is no real answer yet to this issue until we can proceed to the next step. How do we deal with this, in terms of payment?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
As I mentioned before this question does not expire or anything like that you can take as long as you need to test it. Then to get back to me go to justanswer.com and click on my questions at the top of the page.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I appreciate that, and thanks for your help so far. I will get back to you when it happens again (as it is sure to do).

Do I rate you now, later, or both?

Regards,

Rick

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I would wait to rate until we are finished.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Freddy, I keep getting reminders to rate you. I take it that these are sent automatically, since we are not done with this issue yet and it may take a while before the problem reappears.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I apologize they are indeed automatic and I am not able to turn them off the site does not allow me to or I would. Please just ignore them.
.