Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

There is a lightning storm overhead causing our power to flicker

Customer Question

There is a lightning storm overhead causing our power to flicker on and off. After the outage caused my PC to re-boot, it hasn't been booting up anymore. The PC has power, but it just runs the fan at full and the screen is completely blank. (yes the screen is turned on). Only thing that has changed from when it last worked was flickering power.
Category: Computer
Expert:  SladeV replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** will help you too the best of my ability. Does anything show on the Screen? It is likely that some of the towers components are dead due too a surge in power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, the screen is completely blank and does not respond at all.

Expert:  SladeV replied 1 year ago.
Have you tested the unit with another monitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have another monitor laying around, but I did connect the monitor to my laptop and verified it works. It wouldn't make sense for it to be the problem, since the computer is running the fan at full blast.

Expert:  SladeV replied 1 year ago.
The monitor could of likely failed as well. Is this a name brand computer or one that was built custome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lenovo. not custom.

Expert:  SladeV replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the Model
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just says Lenovo. It turns out the PC works fine when I plug it into another outlet, so I think the power strip may actually be what's busted. Since I already have it open though, I'm looking up a couple things before I close it. Been wanting to upgrade it for gaming, but I think it's one of those where the graphics card and motherboard are integrated and you have to replace the whole thing.

Expert:  SladeV replied 1 year ago.
It is likely the cable that supplies power too it went bad. You can get video cards depending on if your computer will support them. The motherboard is the main board that houses all the main components